Putting a Caprice engine (L05-7) into a 92 g30 van (has L80e trans)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danboquist

Reaction score
Are you BUYING a competed long-block, or are you sending your core engine to them to be rebuilt?
Buying a completed long block. The old engine will just be used for parts.. intake, etc..
In order to avoid having to break in a flat tappet camshaft I’m looking to get a Caprice engine (stock rollers) with a cam change for torque.

Danboquist

Reaction score
If I have a 91 Chevrolet 5.7 ending that was put in a van and it has flat tappet lifters, but the block is roller-ready, can I convert it over to roller with the same camshaft?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the block is roller-ready, can I convert it over to roller with the same camshaft?
You could but you'd lose the advantage of longer/bigger duration due to the profile. Here's an example of what I pulled out of my 5.7 along with a higher spring rate you'll need for the steeper angle (along with a couple worn lobes on the flat tappet cam).

You must be registered for see images attach

Danboquist

Reaction score
Just talked to the builder.
My request was for a long block 5.7 (87-95) Chevrolet engine with roller cam/lifters that has torque to pull a Chevrolet G30 van 91 ton van) and a 31 foot travel trailer. (Don’t have a core).

Option 1: 350: $2696 + 650 core = $3396
Option 2: 383 Stroker (no core charge) = $3996

What say ye?

Danboquist

Reaction score
No, it won't work at all. Putting roller lifters on a flat-tappet cam grind will destroy itself.
That was an earlier question that I had gotten past.
Both options that I’ve been offered are full roller setups.

For the 383 the guy said that I’d need a different flex plate.
The tuning (ECM) could possibly be a deal killer. I’m not looking for a rabbit hole to crawl down into. I just want a roller engine for a truck that will fit and function in my 92 1 ton van.