pulling dash, what else to check?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smburnette

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My dash on my 91 is DESTROYED! I just scored a perfect one and will be picking it up this weekend.. I planned on changing my heater core while the dash was out, just as a precaution.. Is there anything else that needs to be done while I am in there??

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
If it was me I'd mount an amp and rewire all the speakers with better wire but idk if your into that haha

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
The three blend door actuators, mainly the temperature and recirculation actuators. The recir commonly fails and is not fun at all to replace with the dash in place. The temp actuator also sometimes fails and is pretty much impossible to replace without removing the dash.

Make sure that the "weatherstripping" on the blend doors is still good and that your defrost door hasn't done this (easy fix once the dash is off): http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?2292-Defrost-blend-door-keeps-falling-out

I didn't do all of this when I swapped my dash, now I sometimes have to deal with actuator getting stuck on heat and the defrost fogging up the windshield when using the A/C.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Our trucks are really easy to do a heater core on....... you don't need to remove the dash at all, for that.

smburnette

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like there is really nothing that NEEDS to be changed, just things checked while its convenient.. My blower is somewhat noisy, so I will probably inspect and replace it...