PowerTorque Reman engines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89chevc1500

Reaction score
Tempted: the shop purchased the engine before asking me, my dad owned a large shop many years and he said he would have covered the labor to retain the customer. My dad and I both feel since he didnt ask me about purchasing the engine then he took responsibility for it even if warranty didnt in this circumstance. I know it wasn't a nut or bolt but I haven't even had the aircleaner off since they installed engine!

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
I've done a lot to retain customers, I wouldn't give one a free engine install. I don't know of any shop that would. Again, if the engine was purchased as a long block and the shop is not the engine builder, you have no claim. They can not be responsible for an engine they didn't build. I'm sure your father knows well what can and can't be done, and I'm sure you both hate it and want to raise a big stink about it with the shop, but you have to look at the circumstances from their shoes as well. Most local shops communicate with each other and if you go somewhere else after ripping into the first shop, they might make a call and get the details. I've done it.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done a lot to retain customers, I wouldn't give one a free engine install. I don't know of any shop that would. Again, if the engine was purchased as a long block and the shop is not the engine builder, you have no claim. They can not be responsible for an engine they didn't build. I'm sure your father knows well what can and can't be done, and I'm sure you both hate it and want to raise a big stink about it with the shop, but you have to look at the circumstances from their shoes as well. Most local shops communicate with each other and if you go somewhere else after ripping into the first shop, they might make a call and get the details. I've done it.

This is a tough situation for the shop and the customer. There's no way to prove who the fault lies with, as the only evidence is now in the sole custody of the manufacturer, and all they're saying is that they didn't do it. They're passing the buck back to the shop, who now has the choice to eat it and make the customer happy or wash their hands of it and make the customer pay for the labor. The shop DOES have a responsibility as the purchaser and installer of the engine. They chose not to repair the engine themselves but rather to call upon a third party, whose labor and quality they don't control, to do the work and effectively subcontract that portion of the repair. It still leaves them, the shop, with the final responsibility to the customer should the builder renege on their warranty. I've been in this position as lead tech and shop manager, and know what it's like to have a warranty company or builder calling "installer error" when I'm certain there's nothing like that going on. The shop is in a tight spot here, being that they can choose to lose money or lose a customer. I don't know all of the facts, certainly, but if this were my job and my customer I wouldn't be asking the customer to eat my poor choice of reman engines.

89chevc1500

Reaction score
SAATR: thank you, finally someone understands what is going on here even without 'all the details'. I have tried to give as many details as possible and even included pics. I am not an idiot and i do know 'technically' the shop doesnt have to cover the labor but as SAATR said lose a customer or eat it, they obviously chose to lose a customer! It is a tough situation for a shop to be in but these guys are trying to build a customer base to start their own shop and need to realize this isnt how your gonna accomplish that. There are gonna be hits you have to take with any small shop but they arent even there yet so every customer should count to them reaching their goal. This is a father and son partnership where the father is retired and son is a full time mechanic at another shop.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
The shop may have purchased the engine, but I can promise they didn't do it without the customer's okay. The customer knew the shop wasn't building the motor. The fault is the engine builder, almost guaranteed.

89chevc1500

Reaction score
yes I am the customer and I knew he was getting a reman and not rebuilding. He didnt consult me where he was getting it from and from a previous post on this thread he bought the cheapest POS he could find.

true, the fault is most likely the engine builder, but with them deying the claim who is next in line to take the fall? I am most certainly not THAT guy! I have already been overcharged for the engine upfront the first time and had to pay the labor the first time. I didnt put the engine in nor have I done anything to it since it was put in.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
If you have the new engine(you said the builder replaced the old one) then it isn't difficult to install. A few hours in a driveway. If you're around me, I'll do it for ya. Pay for my gas, I'll bring the hoist and tools.

89chevc1500

Reaction score
misunderstanding...i took it to the mechanic my dad takes his stuff to when the engine was first replaced, they put oreilly reman in it. paid them off, drove it for 3 months engine quit, took it back to them, they replaced engine with another reman and now i have to pay labor charges cause engine company wouldnt stand behind their engine.

ald94

Reaction score
I bought a reman long block from Orieley as well. It has been a few months since I have installed it but it has ran FLAWLESS since install. Now understand I am not sideing with Orielleys AT ALL. To me it sounds like you got a bad engine is all. But I agree that the company should eat all costs for the enginge and labor, I would go after themn for inconvienience money if at all possible.

89chevc1500

Reaction score
well surprisingly it ran great for 3 months till one day it took a dump all of a sudden. I will test ur bad engine theory with the new one in it now when I go pay him and get it back.