New Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

extramile71

Reaction score
Hey Guys ... I got a question about an engine...my 1999 k1500 has 348,967 on it and the engine is pulling water thru the intake valves..what engine do you guys use to replace these vortecs? I have been looking at Blueprint Engines and they have a bad rep..I want some more horsepower when I replace .even if I have replace the transmission too..thanks

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Personally I would find a local machine shop to build your existing engine or another core into what you want. Stroking it to a 383 is a good move if you need lots of torque. If you are more after HP then spend the $ on better flowing cylinder heads with the old school intake pattern not the vortec. This gives you super low cost carbed intake options. I like the AFR heads but there are many options. I would ditch the vortec EFI and intake setup in favour of a Holley throttle body EFI. Long tube headers, and true dual 2.5” will sound amazing even on a 300 Hp SBC and even better at 400 HP.

If the trans is in good condition then either roll the dice and run it or better yet rebuild while the engine is out. At least you know you have a core that’s not full of metal most likely.

There are many ways to meet your goals my way is proven to work… others will prefer keeping the engine close to stock, that’s fine too if that’s what you want. Others will cheer “go LS swap”, which I get as I own several LS powered vehicles although I wouldn’t LS swap a SBC platform personally. I will say the LS are down on torque big time vs the SBC unless you are turbocharging the LS.

Have fun and keep us posted!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blueprint has the best reputation, outside of GM. If you buy a Blueprint engine, you're getting a brand new block and heads. If they're not good enough for you, then buy a GM crate engine.

extramile71

Reaction score
Personally I would find a local machine shop to build your existing engine or another core into what you want. Stroking it to a 383 is a good move if you need lots of torque. If you are more after HP then spend the $ on better flowing cylinder heads with the old school intake pattern not the vortec. This gives you super low cost carbed intake options. I like the AFR heads but there are many options. I would ditch the vortec EFI and intake setup in favour of a Holley throttle body EFI. Long tube headers, and true dual 2.5” will sound amazing even on a 300 Hp SBC and even better at 400 HP.

If the trans is in good condition then either roll the dice and run it or better yet rebuild while the engine is out. At least you know you have a core that’s not full of metal most likely.

There are many ways to meet your goals my way is proven to work… others will prefer keeping the engine close to stock, that’s fine too if that’s what you want. Others will cheer “go LS swap”, which I get as I own several LS powered vehicles although I wouldn’t LS swap a SBC platform personally. I will say the LS are down on torque big time vs the SBC unless you are turbocharging the LS.

Have fun and keep us posted!
Thanks for the info ..and I will keep posted

extramile71

Reaction score
Blueprint has the best reputation, outside of GM. If you buy a Blueprint engine, you're getting a brand new block and heads. If they're not good enough for you, then buy a GM crate engine.

Ok Erik I've been looking lately and their reviews are awful .but I will keep checking them out thanks for the reply

skeptic1

Reaction score
I have a commercial account with autozone. I bought a fresh reman l31 vortec 5.7 long block with all the tins for just a bit over $1600 in 2022. 4 year unlimited mileage warranty

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s nice to have a local shop build it as they normally allow you to participate in the build, at least with the step by step process. I’ve built many engines with machine shops and it’s satisfying to be involved. Why not take your good running engine to a machine shop and have them determine what’s needed? You can save some $ doing the tear down process yourself however a seasoned engine guy will systematically diagnose the emgine as it comes apart.

The assembly line engines leave a lot of details overlooked. They pump them out as fast as possible, add a warranty and then fight you every step of the way when they fail.

jgreen16

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok Erik I've been looking lately and their reviews are awful .but I will keep checking them out thanks for the reply

Where have you seen these awful reviews? I'm genuinely curious, as I was considering looking into a Blueprint engine option.

I would also consider something from Smeding. Ideally I would just build my own, but new blocks have gotten stupid expensive compared to just a few years ago.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where have you seen these awful reviews?
I'n curious too.

You can Google or look at BBB and find all kinds of bad reviews on all of them. Keep in mind if you have a satisfied customer, they'll tell a couple friends. If you get a pissed off one they'll tell 4+ friends.

When I looked for a retail replacement 350 or a local machine shop to build my short block almost all of the of the retailers (especially ATK who makes most of the Parts House ones) stunk. All of our local machine shops were ~60 Months backlogged. Blue Print was one of the better builders plus, they use all new parts, not "seasoned" ones. AFAIC any warranty doesn't mean **** - they all make you jump through hoops to get it. That's how they stay in business :mad: