Power Steering Problems, Help Please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

max08004

Reaction score
Hey guys

Yesterday I replaced my steering box because the old one was 25 years old and had way too much play. The new box went in easy and I bled it according to the papers that came with the box, but now the power assist comes and goes. Ive had problems with these pumps before, this pump lasted a year and a half which is a record. When I first start it up, it works but when i get moving It goes away until my engine gets up to at least 1000 rpm then its super touchy and doesn't return to center. Then if I am moving and approaching a stop sign when I let off the throttle I lose power steering until I get on the gas again. Also if I jack the front end up it works fine at any rpm, as in I have power assist regardless of rpm if there's no load on the tires. I bled it about 5 times and cant figure it out. My alignment is good and I know that. The pump was fine before i changed the box. Could the new box have wrecked the pump? or is this new steering box junk? Its not leaking and I cant figure it out, so any ideas or opinions would be a huge help, Thanks.

It's an 88' K1500, came with 5.0, NOT hydro-boost. The pump is part number 7091 from autozone, and the steering box is part number 277540 from advance auto.