power in my 98 1500 is messed!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
ok when i got this truck i noticed when i turned on my headlights all my power worked my power windows my radio and all that came on. well today i got a new radio for xmas and i removed the dash and stuff then when i put it back together the radio dident turn on when put in the forward(start/run) not started postion but when put in acc it will turn on also when i turn the headlights the radio will shut off and then turn back on. it quite confusing and want to figure it out im a guy all about my music. any ideas and tips thank you
doug
also the old radio was a aftermarket as well but not installed by me

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the fuses. The radio has two different fuses (one for acc and one for when on position) and I believe it is shared with other stuff too. Pull the cover off, the sticker will show the locations.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
if that don't work then i would put the radio on it's own power supply. memory right from the battery, power from one of the ports in the convenience center and run all new speaker wires. kinda tedious but it is a sure fire way to get it to work right.

Dougm72

bout 5ft from concrate
Reaction score
well i dont know what i did all i did was got a little mad and hit the light switch hard and bam everything worked havnt had a issue yet. i did notice in my fuse box along with almost all my fuses being 15amps changed them all out to there correct ones but i saw a little toggle switch i fliped it back and forth and couldent figure out what it is for

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
maybe a loose wire or something. as far as the toggle trace the wires to see where it leads.