Post your Vortec engine bay!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
That's one of the reasons I stopped mudding in my truck, at least hardcore like I used to anyways. It's my daily driver and so far my only transportation. I plan to get an 87 or older Chevy or GMC as a mud truck. That way I won't have to worry about computers, already has a straight front axle and easier to find one with a manual. If only my first truck (86 Chevy C10 manual) would have been 4x4 I would have kept it as a 2nd truck when I got my 98.

1987 was TBI and had a computer. You want 86 or older.

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1987 was TBI and had a computer. You want 86 or older.

Oh ok, my 86 didn't have a computer so I wasn't sure about the 87. What about the older K5 Blazers and Jimmys? I would rather have a truck but I wouldn't mind an older K5 if I can find a good one at a good price. I know the old body style stayed with the K5s until 91 so what year did they start putting the computer in the K5s? Same year as the trucks or a little later?

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
'87 on all. There may be some exceptions but it's just safe to assume everything after '86 has a PCM

stevensb

Reaction score
Haven't done my 99 yet but heres my nbs
You must be registered for see images attach

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
'87 on all. There may be some exceptions but it's just safe to assume everything after '86 has a PCM

Ok thanks

From my own experience, the TBI trucks have been more tempermental than the Vortec ones...

I've never had a TBI, went straight from a carb in my 86 to my Vortec in my 98. But, I've read a lot on here and other places that TBIs aren't as good performance wise (which makes sense) and seem to have more problems than the Vortecs. When I do get a mud truck, like I said before, I know it will be carbed but I will end up putting an EFI manifold on it to convert it to FI. I prefer fuel rails that spray in the intake runners than TBI, but I'll wait til I get the older truck before planning anything major lol. I know EFI will need it's own computer, but I can live with that since it wouldn't control the entire engine.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
I just gained 20hp!!?!

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Thanks for visiting my pants!