Possible LT4 Cam Swap(Not the Hot Cam)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For those of you who read my other post
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?2723-What-Should-I-Do
I've decided against the LQ4/9 swap because I don't have the time it takes to properly swap an LS motor so I've been looking to build up the the 350 vortec i have and was researching a good cam for it and what what I heard from engine builders and people i work with the Stock 1996 Corvette LT4 cam is the one i want i've thought about a ZZ3/4 Cam but decided against it because the people I've talked to say it has a flat spot and the LT4 cam just feels stronger

If anybody has any info on how this cam runs Please let me know
Thank in advance for any info

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I've heard people say they like the LT4 production cam. its a fairly mild cam, but a decent upgrade. I don't know what 'flat spot' the ZZ4 cam has that they're talking about, but I've been running that for some time and its done well. it kindof depends on your setup. you say its an L31 vortec 350? what are your plans with it? what has already been done? what will the truck be used for?

there is alot that goes into chosing a cam, more than just X cam is better than Y cam, because it depends on alot of things whether or not that statement is true.

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know I've heard people say they like the LT4 production cam. its a fairly mild cam, but a decent upgrade. I don't know what 'flat spot' the ZZ4 cam has that they're talking about, but I've been running that for some time and its done well. it kindof depends on your setup. you say its an L31 vortec 350? what are your plans with it? what has already been done? what will the truck be used for?

there is alot that goes into chosing a cam, more than just X cam is better than Y cam, because it depends on alot of things whether or not that statement is true.

Thanks for the response the setup i plan on running is
Stock vortec 350 HD with stock bore
possibly a little bit high stall
3.42 gears
E fans controlled by 411 pcm
better exhaust

I checked at work to see if they still can get a LT4 cam and they said GM discontinued it so now i'm thinking about running this cam with 1.6 RR

Lunati 54779LUN
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 268/279
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 215/224
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .489/.489
LSA/ICL: 112/108
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 1500-5750

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what do you want to get out of the cam? like better daily driving, racing, towing, etc?

do you know if the specs on that Lunati are with 1.5's or 1.6's?

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what do you want to get out of the cam? like better daily driving, racing, towing, etc?

do you know if the specs on that Lunati are with 1.5's or 1.6's?

that cam is rated with 1.5's
and i woukd like a cam with better DD and racing but i don't want to sacrifice a ton of lower end torque in the process

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is there a reason you want to run that lunati on 1.6's rather than the spec'd 1.5's? it looks like a decent cam, but if it were me I'd just run it on the 1.5's (especially in a DD) and save yourself some headwork, you're not going to see a huge gain from the 1.6's and it'll just push the powerband up a little in the RPM range. in fact that lunati looks kinda simmilar to an LT4 hotcam (which is actually specd with 1.6's), which at 1.5's is 0.492/0.492 lift, 210/228 duration at .050, and LSA 112.

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put both the LT4 Cam and the Lunati cam in Desktop dyno to see the power curve and the lt4 with 1.6's has the best usable power also i talked to the parts guy to see if he knew of any dealers that had the Lt4 cam and he said theres a company called Vintage Parts inc that buy old hard to sell parts so i checked there site and they have 65 brand new LT4 Stock cams

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
right on. yeah a production LT4 w/ 1.6's would be a good combo. that sounds like a good site too, I'll have to look into it.

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
right on. yeah a production LT4 w/ 1.6's would be a good combo. that sounds like a good site too, I'll have to look into it.
The cam is 240$ but you have to get it from a dealer that has an account with them