Portland Transmission Exchange -

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joneserr

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with this company? http://www.txchange.com/

I talked with them and they indicate they sell wholesale to a lot of fleet and transmission shops around Portland Oregon and I live in the area so I could pick it up and install myself. They sell a "Bullripper Heavy Duty" 4L60E with torque converter for $1,640. http://www.bullripper.com/HEAVY-DUTY-4L60E-p/b27.htm

Inner workings of transmissions are a mystery to me and they do not post what parts they use online. I tried to quiz the person on what goes into the transmission, he explained but more assured me this as heavy duty and setup for towing. He told me they use a Transco shift kit in the rebuild and top quality everything. He indicated it it is tested in their factory and comes with 18 month unlimited mileage warranty.

My stock 4L60E in my 1999 K1500 Suburban with 140k works great but plan to tow so doing my homework before it breaks. I will be changing the fluid, filter and adding a larger cooler and temp gauge to it hoping the stock one might last.

Thanks

mistaake

Reaction score
I would like to know about this company if it's good too, as far as what parts they use and if there are people with real life experiences, because if it's a good tranny it's a good deal. Never seen or heard of that until today though :'( Surely my Suburban's 4L60E can't have much life left so gotta have a good source for a replacement ready to go when, not if, it takes a dump.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I say the same thing in all these 4L60E rebuilder threads, but why not just have yours rebuilt by a reputable local shop? It'll be cheaper, and you can actually pick (with experienced guidance) the internals that go into it. I'd never buy a complete transmission from one of these companies unless there was literally a hole in the case of mine or some other catastrophic non-repairable failure. Even then, I'd be tempted to buy a junkyard case and have it rebuilt at the shop.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A buddy of mine has one of their 4L80E's in his 94. He has used them many times (he is a mechanic in Portland). It works well.

joneserr

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses

Personally don't want to put the transmission in myself unless it gives me a better transmission. Really rather spend my time on something else and don't want to pull it out again if there is a warranty problem. However, a place that is close that specializes in, rebuilds and tests their transmissions and sells a limited off the self models seems like a better way to go as opposed to a shop that rebuilds what comes through the door.

Anyone know of good transmission shop in Portland area? I called a place here that restores GM muscle cars and Corvettes and they suggested Trans Medic in Gresham Oregon.