polishing wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
Ive been thinking about polishing my wheels on my truck but, been trying to decide what to use. any one used better built diamond brite truck box polish on aluminum clear coated wheels? is it worth the money or is there any other polish that works better? any input in it will help.

thanks, Mike

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I know a few people have polished theirs on here before. Swims350 is one of them, I'll see if I can find anything. Seems to me, they used a paint stripper to take the clear coat off, then used polish and buffed it a lot, but I'll try to find the exact steps. Been thinking about doing the same to mine, clear coat looks terrible right now.

Canada RCSB Mike

OBS is what I like!!
Reaction score
hey man, just to warn you polishing these wheels is very time consumming.

To remove clear coat is extremely hard. I tried everything under the sun and nothing would work. Ran into an old buddy who works on aircraft and told me to use aircraft stripper remover. This **** is awesome. BUT I must warn you this **** is nasty nasty stuff.
YOU MUST READ THE WARNIING LABEL BEFORE YOU USE ANY OF IT!!!!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

I started out with 200 grit and moved up to 2000 grit. Once you go over 400 grit you must sand in only one direction. If you dont you will know what I mean.

I used only wet sanding paper, due to the alunimun dust that the sanding causes.

Here I was only at 400 grit.

Hope this helps.

when ur ready to polish after all the sanding is done, I used mothers metal/aluminum polish, with a mothers polishing ball. It works awesome. But someone may like other polishes better. That is the stuff I had laying around.

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
thanks man help alot i appreciate the info and the pics that looks awesome and how id like to get my wheels to shine, id like to do mine at sum point whenever i get time to get around w it since its times consuming thanks again mike

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
Yes, on stock wheels you will have to strip the clear/silver paint to polish them, which takes a lot of work, I did it to my S10 when I had it. But as for polished aluminum wheels, I use a mother's ball with Mother's polish and finish off with some English Custom Polish for the extra shine, and smooth feel.