polished wheel problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a wheel problem, and hope someone can help me out.
I had an accident that required the purchase of 1 new rim, front drivers side.
About 10 years ago I installed Ultra BadLands on my 99 Yukon, those that I installed
were not polished. My recent purchase IS polished, the difference is really noticeable.
See pictures............
My questions are:
Could my old rims be polish out to match (closely) the new one?
Can the new one be worked (dulled down/sand blasted) to resemble the old?
Any one know who does this kind of work?
Should I attempt this myself or not
Looking for solutions, cause they no longer supply the BadLand rim
in the finish I purchased 10 years ago.
Any assist is appreciated.
Ron
You must be registered for see images

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's waaaaaay off... honestly looks like one is chromed and the other(originals)is coated aluminum. If that's the case they will never look the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

skychair

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's waaaaaay off... honestly looks like one is chromed and the other(originals)is coated aluminum. If that's the case they will never look the same.

Its not chrome.....polished aluminum.
The older one's are not coated, but more like unfinished, when I clean the old rims
it takes 4 min a rim, that's why I went with that finish.
I really dont want to buy 3 more rims.
I'm between dulling one or polishing 3, but I dont think the results will be that rewarding.
Any thoughts?????

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
mag and aluminum polish, the abrasive stuff. Do not get the stuff that say's chrome polish also, thats non-abrasive

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its not chrome.....polished aluminum.
The older one's are not coated, but more like unfinished, when I clean the old rims
it takes 4 min a rim, that's why I went with that finish.
I really dont want to buy 3 more rims.
I'm between dulling one or polishing 3, but I dont think the results will be that rewarding.
Any thoughts?????
Gotcha.... just looked tooo shiny and a differant shine/sheen then I'm use to seeing on any polished aluminum I've ever seen...

But as mentioned the mag and aluminum polish and either alot of elbow grease or a polishing pad on a drill should get you pretty close. Again as mentioned , make sure it's the slightly gritty ***** stuff. Mothers makes a pretty good one. Stay away from anything that says chrome polish as it won't do **** to aluminum..

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Those are going to need a careful sanding with some really fine grit sandpaper, then followed with lots of polishing, by machine, to get to the shine that new wheel has.

Guys that do wheel and tank polishing for big trucks knock stuff like that out all the time. It'll cost you a few bucks but shouldn't be too bad for that size of wheel and just 3 of 'em.

It will probably take clearcoating them afterwards to maintain that shine, though. I would suspect the new wheel has clearcoat, too.

For reference here's some Alcoa 19.5's that had gone pretty white with age and neglect. Mind you they hold a shine longer and polish up easier because they're forged. Cast wheels like OP's the material is by nature more porous.

Before:

After:

Richard

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've ran polished aluminum wheels in the past and they will become a milky gray color and very dull if you don't polish them as the others have mentioned. Your new wheel is shiny because, well it's new. If you don't care about shine, just let that wheel go and it'll start to get dull by itself if it's not clear coated. To test if it has a coating, put a little bit of metal polish in a microfiber and rub it into the wheel surface, if the polish turns black, your new wheel is not coated.