PO175 and gas smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Echomirage

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For quite a while, it's been throwing an 0175 code: system too rich bank 2. I tried messing with the 02 sensors, and I got the downstream right bank done, but the upstream is basically welded in; impossible to remove without taking the whole exhaust off, and putting it in a vise. I tried soaking it with oil, wrenches, 02 sockets, etc....nothing.

In addition, every time I shut the engine off, or even just cycle the key on/off, I get a very noticeable gas smell in the engine compartment. You can even smell it outside the truck.

I drive it so rarely, I think it's been doing this ever since the new engine went it. I know the original motor had a bad injector, so I gave my mechanic a new injector for #8. This guy does side work in addition to being a full time mechanic, and while he's a damn good wrench, he's very flaky and hard to get in touch with. I kept using him because he did most of the smaller work for free. He said he knew what was making the gas smell, and attempted to fix it, along with my HVAC problems....that was a year ago, and he's been MIA ever since.

So he left me with a half fixed truck, and I don't know exactly what he did or didn't do.

What causes that code, and I'm assuming it'll be related to the gas smell? What do I look at for all this?

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From what I've read, you should really replace the entire spider if you have a problem with an injector in it. I usually have pretty good luck with stubborn O2 sensors by getting the engine up to operating temp and taking an O2 socket to them with a big ass breaker bar while they are still hot as hell.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Try using a torch on the bung in the pipe. A bernzsomatic with MAPP gas will usually get them hot enough

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I smell gas on my truck, but not as regularly as you seem to. I've assumed I have a slight leak in a fuel line since they're getting pretty rusty. If in the engine compartment, I'd look at the regulator. They have a vacuum line on them, that can rot out. I think sometimes gas can come out that port too if the regulator has gone bad. I have not dealt with this on my own truck, and it's a combination of speculation and past forum readings.

Echomirage

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah, 96 big block, so it's sequential injection.

So look at the fuel pressure regulator?

Will that cause the 0175 code also, or is it unrelated?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
yeah, 96 big block, so it's sequential injection.

So look at the fuel pressure regulator?

Will that cause the 0175 code also, or is it unrelated?

I don't really know. It's a rich code for bank 2, so it's possible since it's all fuel related. I don't have much experience with solving that kind of problem.

Echomirage

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok, I'll take a look. Maybe I'll get lucky, but I have a feeling it's something with the injectors themselves. Shows me for being broke and relying on a shadetree mechanic to do the work for free.

Echomirage

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I looked......and can't find it. Where is the fuel pressure regulator on a 96 454?