Plus Sized Grandpa

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
With as thin as this stuff is, if the crack is below where you're brushing it will find the crack.

After many years of messing with **** in the rattle can, I virtually do not use it for anything automotive at all.

Just get the automotive grade stuff.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Got it back on the ground before the rain set in this morning. Rear spacers go so far on these 4x4 trucks

Hoping to get the rear topkick handles on and the ac blend door and directional door actuators on this weekend as well.

Can anyone confirm the one behind the center of the dash can be got to without removal of the dash?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Looks way better now that they are the same width. GM should've made the rear axle the same width as the front on the 3/4 and one ton trucks. From what I have read on forums, the reasoning they did this is so that the vehicle could cut into new ground for more traction.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Disappointing not much progress being made. However, I did get these things in the mail.

Also, spent another few hours cleaning and degreasing the bottom end today. I know it will all be coming out in the next few weeks but I'm trying to get a head start on the cleaning work without having to have the truck down.

Suspension is going to have to wait until the first week or two of April. Think I may take off some time and try to budget 4 days for the RC 6" kit installation. That includes frame painting and entire new front end with bushings etc.

Next weekend I've decided to do trans filter service and gasket on the 4l80e.

Also thinking about doing the oil pan gasket while I'm doing the suspension. It is not leaking really but maybe I should do it while I have the diff out and front crossmember etc?

Any thoughts on that?

Where did you get the torsion bar relocators at?

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Looks way better now that they are the same width. GM should've made the rear axle the same width as the front on the 3/4 and one ton trucks. From what I have read on forums, the reasoning they did this is so that the vehicle could cut into new ground for more traction.

I guess that makes 'some' sense but you dont think the difference of 4" total or 2" each side would even get you into that much new material in an instance where you're stuck in mud or low traction so not sure how much I buy that. Interesting though.

I would guess it is probably just a component manufacturing and interchangeability reason honestly.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Where did you get the torsion bar relocators at?

http://www.realiftsusp.com/

Here. There is no online ordering option however. Call only.

And plan to spend. Mine were about $340 shipped. And that's for the unfinished ones. I still have to paint or powder them.

I would imagine these could be manufactured way way cheaper in large quantities but they are a small specialty provider so I know they have a lot of work into each set. Not to mention it is good to support small shops like this so I was happy to pay.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Went ahead and ordered up some stuff for the suspension.

Bit of a shot in the dark on this 4" kit. But if this install went just fine on a late model 3/4 ton with a 2 pc drive shaft it should work just fine on the CCSB trucks as well.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/productreviews/tuff_country

Hate how much misinformation there is out there on these lifts that I have to take the chance but I'm pretty confident it will work.

Really glad to have a 4" kit instead of a 6. I am pretty certain one could still run a 35" tire with reasonable offsets with only 4" of lift as well so I think my options are still open tire size wise.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
That lift kit specifies cast control arms, doesn't yours have forged?

Yeah so I looked around on info for this forever. I also believe this is more bad info floating around out there.

I believe on these trucks there are only cast and stamped. Think forged is a misnomer spread around.

Otherwise what would be the difference between cast and forged arms besides method of construction if there is no structural differences?

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
This pic I think should read stamped and cast. Or cast is the misnomer. At any rate there are not 3 types of arms floating around is what I've determined after researching.