Plug wires arcing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

needlenose

Reaction score
I started a thread about my 99 Suburban missing or stumbling and not throwing codes several months ago, but I can't seem to find the thread. I noticed something today. I had read recently about the coolant temp sensor going bad and telling the ECU that the engine is cold. I checked it with the laptop and while idling in the driveway with the door open, I noticed that there was an snap that accompanied the shudder. I popped the hood and noticed that the #3 spark plug boot is arcing against the little metal shroud that protects it from the manifold. There is about a .25" gap and it's jumping across.

Is this a grounding problem or a wire problem? This plug wires are about 1 year old. The plugs are about 3 months as is the coil.

Weird that this never threw a misfire code.

Last edited:

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why black?
I think he means electrical tape.

If it is arcing the you habe a faulty plug wire. The insulation on it must have a hole, it may be too small to see with the naked eye.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
You guys are funny. :Big Laugh:

But seriously, don't use electrical tape. For one, the exhaust will make it a goopy adhesive mess. Two...Good quality, off the shelf tape is only good for 600 volts a wrap, and your coil puts out 30,000+ volts. 50 wraps of tape isn't the greatest plan...Just change or fix the wire. Some places sell a single replacement wire so you don't have to buy a whole new set.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the wires are a year old, you may have a warranty on them depending on what you bought and where you bought them. May want to check into that to save some money and get a new set of wires at the same time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

needlenose

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. I replaced the wires and no more arcing. The plug boot had a little hole in it. If I bent the boot the hole opened up so I could see it.

I wonder if the voltage opened the hole, or the boot failed and the voltage was just using the hole? At any rate, nice and smooth now.

Thanks again!