Please see pic and advise if you can. Radiator problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmfan454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. This is a 97 K1500 Z-71 with the 5.7. It started overheating and I could see a pubble under the front driver's side right behind the front bumper. It seems to have gotten worse so I pulled the radiator. Please see the pic below and advise is it is fixable or should I just buy a new radiator. From what I understand, this plug should be flush and not sticking out like it is.

You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it was my truck. I would take it to a radiator repair shop, have them go through it, and have the plastic tank replaced on that side, if not both of them. If you Google radiator repair shop in your area, you should find what you are looking for. If it was just coming from the drain, you could drain out the antifreeze, and change out the O-ring, but it looks like it is also leaking from the hose connection, so I would pull it and bring to a shop.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Well you can get a new quality radiator for $100-$150. Not sure it's worth paying labor for a repair at that cost. I do not believe that plug is supposed to be flush though, it looks correct. The seal may have corroded. The plugs are available separately, Dorman makes them.