Plastic or steel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIG_KID

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my 91 5.7 is coming up an a quarter of a million miles and im kicking around the idea of changing the timing chain and gears as a preventative thing. Also Wondering if the cam gear is aluminum/plastic or steel. Any advise appreciated.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have 318k on my 95 and I'm in no hurry to change the timing set. As long as it's running ok, I wouldn't touch it. The cam gear should be cast iron or steel.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The gears themselves will be steel.... if wanting to change the timing chain just get the kit.... it'll come with the chain (duh..lol..) and a cam gear and a crank slide on gear.... can get the stock ones from the parts stores, made by cloyes, pretty cheap...

sent from what use to be a great country...

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good advice so far. My thought is that if you are going to go this far, you might as well check the cam for lift and lobe scuffing, cause this is the time to put in that new roller cam set you've always wanted, right? And, since you have to remove the intake to do this, you might as well have the heads freshened up, and...well, you get the idea.

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought my truck at 241k and the timing chain was really sloppy, but still in time. Replaced it anywho because it's really easy and cheap to do so, especially since I was doing the water pump and belts as well.

Given enough time even an old Chevy v8 can have variable timing too lol.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
The timing chain on my truck was worn out at 160k. It had to have made the ignition timing a mess.