A Pillar Trim plastic question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RShrimp

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1990 Single cab. The plastic trim is EXTREAMLY brittle. I know in later models they used a different more rubberized plastic. Is the trim from a 97 any better or did the rubberized plastic come much later?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have a 90 extended cab and getting ready to do the headliner. I am going to have this same concern soon. Fortunately, I have a friend that is a retired auto upholstery guy. ebay is a good source for replacement pieces and so is LMC.

RShrimp

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed a new headliner with the ABS backing. I was able to do it in 15 min without removing any of the trim in my single cab. Since I do not have visors I had to put a self tapping chrome screw in each front corner as I dont trust the peel and stick velcro. The A pillar mouldings are not available aftermarket, at least I cant find them. If there is a source please post it here.

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't have a 90 to compare them to, but I will say the A pillar trim on the 95+ is fairly hard plastic, which does make brittle. If you go to pull some replacements, just remember the direction that the tabs are, and try to pull straight out from the clip, sometimes its better to give them a quick jolt or two to remove them. Almost like an impact, instead of a slow force twisting or whatever at the tab.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem is the metal clips really bite into the thin plastic tabs and as a result the plastic tabs tear off and stay in the clips. Best advise is to look at a drawing first that shows where, and what direction, the clips are in so you are pulling the trim out correctly, sites like LMC have exploded drawings that are really useful for that.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Also keep in mind you cannot use 95+ A pillar trims in 88-94 trucks because they absolutely will interfere with the dash. No way around it, unless you want to do a dash swap too. That said, if I managed to find pillar trims in a junkyard 94 Suburban that were not brittle at all here in Texas? Surely you'll be able to get some from a salvage yard somewhere there as well.