Plasti-Dipped Rockers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I've been wanting to remove my moldings for a loooong time now so I can just have a nice smooth body. I've wanted to so bad I'm willing to re paint the rockers with the rattle can. The rattle can job I did a few years ago has some chips in it now and needs re-painting anyway. The paint underneath my moldings is no good though...It has chips in it and all that. My question is, If I removed the moldings and glue, do I still have to fully prep the rockers and paint chips like as If I was about to paint them for real or is plasti-dip any better, or will it hide some of that? I'm highly considering spraying my rockers with it from the lowest body curve down because I was wanting to rattle can them flat black anyway, but this way it wouldn't be near as much of a PITA and I could peel it off whenever I was ready to paint it for real. Tell me what you think of all this and what would I need to do prep-wise for plasti dipping my rocker panels?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The stuff is fairly thick. Much more than reg. paint. It sould hide all the nicks & flaws. If they're really bad, give all of the problem areas a bit of a first coat, then do it all.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay wow so I can just remove all the major big adhesive tape, and any other big nicks I can just give a good spray first then do my base coat and probably do 4 coats total??? I'm getting amped up for this. Hell, I may even have it done by tonight....

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heading to the hardware store to get 3 cans...I hope will do it all.

Yeah I'm aware it's flat black which I prefer it's either spray paint them flat black, pay alot of money to have them professionaly painted and blended, or go the plasti dip route so I can take it off when it is time to have the whole truck done! I'm thinking plasti dip!

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Sounds good! Thats why i rubber undercoated my wheels rather than paint them, that way i had a "trial period" to see if i liked painted stockers, and once the undercoating starts to look crappy, rattle can them gloss black.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
You might want to look on youtube or check the steps on the can for painting. I've heard that you get better results doing a VERY heavy coat, rather than multiple coats.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the drivers side is done. Went all the way up to the damn hardware store even tho I called and said hold me 2 cans and there was 1 can there. Anyway, driver side is done but now I gotta go find some more of this stuff. It got dark on me once it dried so I haven't really been able to see how the hell it looks? I plugged in a huge spotlight and the **** looks grey? Wtf? I'm thinking maybe the spot light was hopefully just real powerful or something and in regular light it will match better or something but anyway I dunno whether to drive it somewhere to look or what. I don't want it to not be fully dry and me drive it and mess it all up but I painted a emblem and it was already dry so I dunno.

Every video i've seen of this stuff it looks black as can be so this grey look is throwing me off. I got the drivers side done so I'll prolly tackle the other side tmrw.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
How much is this stuff running per can? What is it actually used for? If it's at Home Depot, it's obviously not for automobile's.