PICS of the 89 after all the winter mods.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hows it handle on the road with the high steer kit? I've heard it'll give you a lot of bump steer...

891Ton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hows it handle on the road with the high steer kit? I've heard it'll give you a lot of bump steer...

There is no bumpsteer. But I have never had bumpsteer once I SAS it. Even if it were to give me some the hydraulic ram would eliminate it anyway so I would never feel it. The ram is like a super steering stabilizer.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Hey bud, if at all possible could I please get some pictures of your front axle set up?! Also would love to see a closer picture of your rear shackles. This trucks a beast so I figure if I base my build off this, it should be pretty stout, lol.
Much appreciated if you could snap some pics of that, thanks man.

891Ton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah I can do that. For your parts list, I run a 1978 Ford Dana 60 reverse rotaion. Offroad Unlimited SAS kit leaf spring hangers(modified slightly). It has 5.13 gears with a powertrax lock right locker. I run stock 35 spline inner shafts, and chrome molly 35 spline outter stub shafts. It has WARN 35 spline premium lock out hubs. For the steering I run Off Road Design (ORD), crossover steering. It has a 3" drop pitman arm, custom drag link (you need to have this custom made after you get your steering together. your take the measurements and them make one up to fit), with 5/8th tie rod ends. ORD steering arm, ORD high steer arm, ORD dom high steer tie rod with 5/8th rod ends. (use the tie rod ends. the ORD ones are stronger than hiems). Then I run a custom Hydraulic Ram assist steering. ORD king pins and bushings. See my build thread on this in this forum. You can make it yourself rather than pay 1000$ for a PSC kit. Barnes 4WD diff guard. Tom Woods 1350 pinion yoke. That's my front axle in a nutshell. Damn, when I break it down like that I just realized how much money Ive sunk into that 35 year old Axle. ****...

ram assist thread:
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?17886-Hydaulic-Ram-Assist-Steering-build-thread

my steering setup, scroll down till you see my post:
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?18114-Lets-see-your-solid-axle-steering-set-ups

Ill get some pics of my rear shackle setup in the next day or two. Im working straight through the next two days so stay tuned. I wont forget.

Let me know if you need more pics or explanation. Build that truck!

Last edited:

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
yeah I can do that. For your parts list, I run a 1978 Ford Dana 60 reverse rotaion. Offroad Unlimited SAS kit leaf spring hangers(modified slightly). It has 5.13 gears with a powertrax lock right locker. I run stock 35 spline inner shafts, and chrome molly 35 spline outter stub shafts. It has WARN 35 spline premium lock out hubs. For the steering I run Off Road Design (ORD), crossover steering. It has a 3" drop pitman arm, custom drag link (you need to have this custom made after you get your steering together. your take the measurements and them make one up to fit), with 5/8th tie rod ends. ORD steering arm, ORD high steer arm, ORD dom high steer tie rod with 5/8th rod ends. (use the tie rod ends. the ORD ones are stronger than hiems). Then I run a custom Hydraulic Ram assist steering. ORD king pins and bushings. See my build thread on this in this forum. You can make it yourself rather than pay 1000$ for a PSC kit. Barnes 4WD diff guard. Tom Woods 1350 pinion yoke. That's my front axle in a nutshell. Damn, when I break it down like that I just realized how much money Ive sunk into that 35 year old Axle. ****...

ram assist thread:
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?17886-Hydaulic-Ram-Assist-Steering-build-thread

my steering setup, scroll down till you see my post:
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?18114-Lets-see-your-solid-axle-steering-set-ups

Ill get some pics of my rear shackle setup in the next day or two. Im working straight through the next two days so stay tuned. I wont forget.

Let me know if you need more pics or explanation. Build that truck!

Unreal.. thanks for all that info man. And I will certainly stay tuned!
I was thinking about going with a 73-87 chevy D60, figure I'd be able to find one easier here.
This is by no means going to be a quick build, I've got a lot of reading/research to do

891Ton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
rear ORD shackle flip with a modified lowering shackle.

Get the angle right. To do this you need to experiment. You want as much angle as you can get without them being able to invert when extreme flexing. This will take some trial and error. I am not using the stock location for the hanger mounting. I cut my frame when I shortened the truck and am using holes I drilled where I wanted the hanger to be. The more angle you have the more flexibility the shackles will have and the more droop you will have. To make leaves articulate well your shackles need to be able to have a lot of movement. That way the shackle will totally unload before the spring even starts to flex, then you have more flexing than just the spring.

You must be registered for see images attach

stan1688

Reaction score
Sick truck!

How much lift do you have?

Do you plan to run lights and blinkers? I'd be interested to see some that are narrowed.

891Ton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sick truck!

How much lift do you have?

Do you plan to run lights and blinkers? I'd be interested to see some that are narrowed.

I only have about 6 inches of lift with about three more coming from the shackles. Ive lowered it about 5 inches over the last year and when I four link it it Ill bring it down even more. The blinkers in the grille work. and the lights under the grille are the only headlights I run. I like the look.