Partly broken off leaf spring loop - fixable or get new springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've discovered that a part of the front loop on one of the leaf spring packs is apparently damaged. The loop doesn't go all the way around the bushing, part of it apparently broke off. I have no idea how this happened and most likely it happened before I bought the Tahoe.

This probably needs fixing soon, right? Can the missing bit be fabricated and welded on or do I need to buy a whole new set of leaf springs? (which otherwise appear to be in a good shape, the truck only has 100k miles on it).
I hope it can be fixed by welding, otherwise I'm looking at almost 400 Eur ($ 500 US) cost for a single leaf pack bought and shipped to Europe; and if I replace both sides (probably recommended with a 20 year old truck), then of course double that figure...

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
If you could find a new main leaf in a junkyard somewhere i would go that route. If not buy a new one. You could do some real damage to spring steel with just heat.

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I just talked with my mechanic and he told me basically the same.

Another stupid question: do you think I can get away with replacing just the drivers side leaf spring (the damaged one) and leave the old one on the passenger side?
I can't be sure, but this vehicle was most likely never used for hauling big loads or pulling trailers (it doesn't even have a electric plug for trailer lights, just the hitch). Perhaps the leafs haven't sagged noticeably in the 100k miles the Tahoe has on the odometer.
So perhaps I could begin by only replacing one leaf spring pack and see if it's ok - if not, I can order the leaf for the other side if necessary. Tell me if this is a stupid idea or worth trying.

This is how she sits:
You must be registered for see images attach

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
In my honest opinion, when it comes to brakes and suspension, its best to replace in pairs.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree. Replace in pairs. You may get a used one from a junkyard that is worm more or less than the one in the truck now and it could cause the truck to sit un level. If you plan on keeping this truck for a while then Id highly consider just replacing the springs with new replacements. Also replace the shackles and shocks as well. Youre already in there. Might as well do a few other upgrades.

RokRoland

Reaction score
Post a picture of the spring. I replaced leafs recently... Being cheap they were junk yard because affording air mail for leaf springs across the pond was out of the question (closer to $1000 for $200 parts) so ordering some eventually in a container by sea. Anyway the loop around the bushing on the old ones didn't quite complete the full circle, strangely, though bushings were tight. On old ones the loop was, for lack of a better word, more complete. Anyway no issue was found in yearly inspection.

Also, probably easier to find wallets full of money on European junkyards than Tahoes with usable leaf springs. As I recall they are shorter than Suburban, which again are shorter than the pickups. There's not that many Tahoes around.

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's right, no use trying to find a GMT400 in a European junkyard. Besides, leaf springs on a junked vehicle will most likely be **** anyway...
Well, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and spend some money on a pair of new leaf springs... Thanks to everybody for your thoughts.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Post a picture of the spring. I replaced leafs recently... Being cheap they were junk yard because affording air mail for leaf springs across the pond was out of the question (closer to $1000 for $200 parts) so ordering some eventually in a container by sea. Anyway the loop around the bushing on the old ones didn't quite complete the full circle, strangely, though bushings were tight. On old ones the loop was, for lack of a better word, more complete. Anyway no issue was found in yearly inspection.

Also, probably easier to find wallets full of money on European junkyards than Tahoes with usable leaf springs. As I recall they are shorter than Suburban, which again are shorter than the pickups. There's not that many Tahoes around.
Correct - length of leafs goes in order of - pickup, Suburban, Tahoe; they do not interchange.

I'd like to see a picture of the spring, too..

EDIT - If it turns out you do need one and choose to go new, Dayton's part # for your 4WD 4 door is 221151. They're $226/ea at RockAuto but I don't know if they do international shipping. HOLY CRAP...I just tried a random Slovenia postal code (9201) to see, and they offer 2 options for shipping the pair of springs - $525 and $627...just for shipping! Wow.

Richard

Last edited:

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup, I know.
Yes, shipping is expensive for certain items, but it doesn't even end there - it's import from USA to EU so customs taxes apply, too.
Another example: air dam (the plastic spoiler under the front bumper) which is missing on my Tahoe: it costs about 20-30 dollars on Rockauto or Ebay, but shipping is 200 bucks.. yikes.
But for most smaller items shipping costs are more reasonable, especially if combining multiple items in one order (and boy have there been many parts I had to buy already).
Funny thing: there are some European online stores (mostly in Germany) that sell US car parts, but with limited selection and the basic price of an item is usually higher than ordering from Rockauto - part, shipping and customs tax combined still cheaper than what the Germans charge...

I'll try to post a picture of the spring. The damaged loop is hard to see, but you could feel it by hand. I'll see if I can make it show on photo.
I would probably have no idea about this issue if my mechanic hadn't discovered it while he was inspecting the vehicle...

Last edited:

RokRoland

Reaction score
Funny thing: there are some European online stores (mostly in Germany) that sell US car parts, but with limited selection and the basic price of an item is usually higher than ordering from Rockauto - part, shipping and customs tax combined still cheaper than what the Germans charge...

Don't know if you have the same in Slovenia but here in Finland there's a number of businesses that ship stuff by marine containers - you order stuff to US address, they load the container, 3 months later it arrives, you pay for the shipping and taxes but shipping cost is much more reasonable, for 250e in shipping you get a full cubic meter worth of items (though some other costs do apply) and I guess you could fit at least 10 pairs of leaf springs into one cubic meter of volume (of course it does not have to be a cube shape).

If there isn't one... maybe it can be a business idea, provided there's enough culture of US car enthusiasts in your country. For sure anyone driving one here has to be an enthusiast what with the gas price of 7 USD a gallon. :)