Painting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i tried color matching my grill and i really screwed the pooch. Kind of rushed it and didnt prime it so the chrome made the color get all distorted.
My question is black primer the best choice to help match oe color or is a grey the best.
Next whats the factory color of our green 400s? Emerald green metallic is what i guessed, i could be wrong.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I think it is Emerald Green. That's the color of Charles' truck.

midnightblue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
paint does not stick to chrome well at all.... i would try and find a plastic unpainted grille. i color matched the grille on my 2004 duramax and used a good self etching primer after roughing up the chrome and it is starting to chip off after just a few months.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
get on lmc and order a paintable grille. already in primer I think.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
Look up the rpo codes in your glovebox to get the exact color of your truck.

Use gray primer and prep the surface really well before you put it on. Painting chrome sucks.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Don't waste your time painting over the chrome. I don't care how well you prep it, at some point in time it's going to starting peeling. Either get a paintable one as has been mentioned, or get the chrome blasted off.

AA13

Reaction score
Use an epoxy primer, I painted my friends 08 grill about and year ago and it still hasn't chipped

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truth be told i dont want to shell out money on a primed grill. I think i grey primer it and try to shoot another coat of emerald green. The compnine site doesnt work for me. I dont know why.