painting door sills

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7echo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a rust spot or 2 on the drivers sill. I am planning to sand it clean, prime and paint. It will just be a small area and I am thinking to get the correct color auto paint and use a brush. I will put on several coats, then sand it flat and clear coat. I do not want to fool with a spray gun.
Can you brush on auto paint and get it to flatten out?

Comments and opinions appreciated.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I have a rust spot or 2 on the drivers sill. I am planning to sand it clean, prime and paint. It will just be a small area and I am thinking to get the correct color auto paint and use a brush. I will put on several coats, then sand it flat and clear coat. I do not want to fool with a spray gun.
Can you brush on auto paint and get it to flatten out?

Comments and opinions appreciated.
How big are the spots you are repairing ?
I don't see automotive base coat being done with a brush and looking right at all !
You can get your base coat color mixed in a spray can with thinner mixed and ready to spray, and same with clear coat. Before I got my truck painted I used there stuff on front grill header panel and bumper and it was dead on match. I replaced the bumper,grill panel, lights and just wanted to paint the grill header panel that was aged and looking bad. Just go and look up your code on their page. The pic above was after spraying the grill and bumper.
I ordered and used there stuff when I repaired gutter rails on my vandura as well. And that was a Good match as well .
Is like a spray bomb off the shelf but with your correct color and pre mixed ready to go

https://touchupdirect.com/touch-up-...xact&msclkid=5baecd2c41fc1d99c2559796b5e63041

Last edited:

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Metallic colors do not brush well at all. The metallic will be streaky. I would do as previously suggested. Some auto parts stores have duplicate oem paint colors in stock.