Painted my Interior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

970tahoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I took the time this weekend to pull and paint some trim...

Dash bezel
ALL A/C vents (front & rear)
Fuse cover
Overhead console
Dome light bezel
Handle bezels
Front door controls w/ tweeter screens
Rear door window switches
Rear door speaker screens
Ashtrays
Rear A/C control bezel

I sanded all of the texture off starting with 80 grit. Then I knocked down the deep scratches from the furious sanding with 100. Once all of the hairs were gone from the pieces, I wet sanded with 400.

After the pieces were texture free, I cleaned them using a microfiber towel and paint thinner, wiping them down with another clean microfiber.

I put down one light coat of standard spray primer from Lowe's (used about 4 12 oz. cans). Then followed with 3 heavy coats.

Letting them dry 10 min between coats, I left them to dry for an hour after the final coat. Next, I wet sanded with 2000.

I used the cheap Lowe's brand back spray paint (4 cans). Applied the same initial light coat to the primed pieces. Then applied 4 heavy coats. Same flash dry time was used of 10 min between coats, but I let them dry overnight.

Once they had dried, I wet sanded all the pieces with 2000 to remove ALL the orange peel. I again cleaned them with a microfiber NO THINNER!! used Alcohol just to be safe.

Finally I sprayed down the clear (2 cans of Duplicolor). I did three heavy coats of clear. I went heavy because I intended to wet sand them after the clear, but decided not to. They came out flawless.

SO hear are some pics I pulled off of Autotrader.com after i had forgotten to take before pics, (I know they are different)

You must be registered for see images attach

And the After....

970tahoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just used Lowe's generic .99 cent spray paint...the mountains of clear are what really matter

Reaction score
I just used Lowe's generic .99 cent spray paint...the mountains of clear are what really matter

Gotcha, I have been using the Krylon Fusion paint on other plastic projects and it also turns out great. I'll have to remember the Lowe's generic next time. I'm tired of paying $6-7 for a rattle can of paint!!

970tahoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha I know...the primer and clear were the most expensive at $4, so I bought cheap since it could be protected.

I used it on the frame, and it isn't holding up too great, but they salt up here. I am going with rubberized undercoating when it warms up