P0338, CKP Sensor replaced, no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71_Zimmerly

Reaction score
My guess is the timing is off. It’s got to be between 0 and -2. And the crank and cam selectors have to be correlated. I’m sure you probably know all this…, I’m just throwing it out there. Fuel needs to be 60 to 66 psi I believe as well. Fuel pump may have taken a dump. Even if your getting fuel out of the pressure release.., it still may not be enough to dray thru those injectors. Hope you figure it out soon. I just went thru the same thing myself. Among other things.
Not sure if you saw my last post in time. Dipstick smells like fuel.
I did intake gasket last yr so cam retard is good.
Now I'm wondering how screwed I am with fuel in the pan.
Thanks

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Check wiring including the plug wires and coil wires, big and small( where the wiring harness plugs into the coil). Also check cap and rotor for moisture buildup or burnt/ cracked places.

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks
My guess is a stuck fuel injector somewhere or rings. But I’m going to bet money here that it’s nothing to do with your No-Start. Mine is getting the net injector upgrade tomorrow. I’ve got misfire and all. It’s getting a new exhaust as well this week with new cats and 02 sensors. I’d still check fuel psi though. And make sure you’re getting fire to the plugs. Other then that I’m as lost about it as you at the moment. But I’m Curtis as to the fix so I hope you let us know what you figure out. This is my first vortec…, and it’s been a nightmare figuring it all out!

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Are the spacers too thick, causing the sensor to not sense the crank? I have no idea if this is even possible - just a thought.
I read it has to be within a certain range for.the magnet to function. No one's suggested but is the pass key light on? My 98 and my mom's caddy did that both after sittin for a long time

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I read it has to be within a certain range for.the magnet to function. No one's suggested but is the pass key light on? My 98 and my mom's caddy did that both after sittin for a long time
Good call on the passlock,Joe! The age these trucks are getting to, those boxes are suspect. GM never intended for any of these circuit board parts to last for 20+ years....and most of them don't. And sitting idle for a while, especially in cold or damp weather, isn't good for electronics either.
Back in 2019, when the passlock was acting crazy on my Burb, once I finally got it to start and run, the truck was running erratically at first, like it had kinda forgot how. If it coulda turned around and looked at me, and asked me," Hey, Mom, is this what I'm supposed to do?" I wouldn't have been too surprised. Because that's exactly how it was acting, until things reset and it ran properly after a couple of minutes.
Truck had been sitting close to a month at that point.

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess is a stuck fuel injector somewhere or rings. But I’m going to bet money here that it’s nothing to do with your No-Start. Mine is getting the net injector upgrade tomorrow. I’ve got misfire and all. It’s getting a new exhaust as well this week with new cats and 02 sensors. I’d still check fuel psi though. And make sure you’re getting fire to the plugs. Other then that I’m as lost about it as you at the moment. But I’m Curtis as to the fix so I hope you let us know what you figure out. This is my first vortec…, and it’s been a nightmare figuring it all out!
Thanks
Did you figure it out today!? If so what was the problem? If not.., I’d definitely check the ignition control module. It won’t start if that’s bad. It’s happened to me.

Z71_Zimmerly

Reaction score
Good call on the passlock,Joe! The age these trucks are getting to, those boxes are suspect. GM never intended for any of these circuit board parts to last for 20+ years....and most of them don't. And sitting idle for a while, especially in cold or damp weather, isn't good for electronics either.
Back in 2019, when the passlock was acting crazy on my Burb, once I finally got it to start and run, the truck was running erratically at first, like it had kinda forgot how. If it coulda turned around and looked at me, and asked me," Hey, Mom, is this what I'm supposed to do?" I wouldn't have been too surprised. Because that's exactly how it was acting, until things reset and it ran properly after a couple of minutes.
Truck had been sitting close to a month at that point.

Referring to the Passlock, that would be a great thought indeed. Being well-versed in the Passlock system itself, I can say that isn't the issue, as I don't have a security light on. If it were the passlock, it would also start but shut off immediately. (Been through this twice, lol)

Did you figure it out today!? If so what was the problem? If not.., I’d definitely check the ignition control module. It won’t start if that’s bad. It’s happened to me.

Thanks for checking in, Gebo. I had quite a long day today and wasn't able to get out to check things out.
After sleeping on it, I may have some new thoughts.
...Flooded.
This is how the events went:
-Crank, no start, tried for 3min before pulling code (dummy)
-Pull Crank Pos Sensor, replace with spare
-Crank, no start, bought new sensor with spacers
...at this point, I think it was already well flooded. All of this occurred within 45 minutes, so by the time I actually got a well-spaced sensor in there, I bet it was flooded beyond starting at all, no matter what I did.
A half hour later, I smelled my dipstick. Smells like gas.
So, it's just sitting now. I am hoping and praying she'll start right up. Either way, it is obviously not lacking fuel at all. I've never flooded an engine like this before. Do you suggest trying to start as-is, or should I go out of my way to change oil and replace all plugs? I'd imagine rings will be okay?
Thanks again for your help, guys!

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Referring to the Passlock, that would be a great thought indeed. Being well-versed in the Passlock system itself, I can say that isn't the issue, as I don't have a security light on. If it were the passlock, it would also start but shut off immediately. (Been through this twice, lol)

Thanks for checking in, Gebo. I had quite a long day today and wasn't able to get out to check things out.
After sleeping on it, I may have some new thoughts.
...Flooded.
This is how the events went:
-Crank, no start, tried for 3min before pulling code (dummy)
-Pull Crank Pos Sensor, replace with spare
-Crank, no start, bought new sensor with spacers
...at this point, I think it was already well flooded. All of this occurred within 45 minutes, so by the time I actually got a well-spaced sensor in there, I bet it was flooded beyond starting at all, no matter what I did.
A half hour later, I smelled my dipstick. Smells like gas.
So, it's just sitting now. I am hoping and praying she'll start right up. Either way, it is obviously not lacking fuel at all. I've never flooded an engine like this before. Do you suggest trying to start as-is, or should I go out of my way to change oil and replace all plugs? I'd imagine rings will be okay?
Thanks again for your help, guys!
I wouldn’t change plugs just because of a flood. But it wold be a good idea to change that oil once your driving it around again. The gas in it might break down the viscosity. Hope you get it going! Keep us posted…,

Z71_Zimmerly

Reaction score
Well, she's up and running!
As I was hoping, she was just severely flooded.
I pulled the fuel pump relay, cranked and cranked, she backfired a handful of times before finally starting up.
It blew the inner insulation board of my garage door to smithereens.
She's running like a dream. I ran her about 30mi to try and burn off whatever fuel is left in the components. Shut her off, started back up perfectly.
I figured yall might get a kick out of this image, lol. Thanks for your help guys. Just a stupid case of over-thinking. ‍
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: