P0338, CKP Sensor replaced, no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71_Zimmerly

Reaction score
98 K1500.
Truck ran great. Stored it in my cold garage for Winter. Started it a month ago for 30min. No problem.
Went out to start today, cranks and cranks, gives a chug once in awhile, no start. Checked codes, got P0338 for crankshaft position sensor circuit high. Pulled sensor, noticed it was scraped from the reluctor rubbing it. Installed a new one, used shims this time. No more rubbing from the reluctor, but truck still cranks without starting. I cleared my code, and hasn't popped up since I tried starting it again.
I've used starting fluid, with no luck.
I have no idea where to look next, and whether the problem is with the sensor, or something completely unrelated.
Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Z71_Zimmerly

Reaction score
is the code fixed? because if its still there it may be wiring
After replacing it, I cleared the code.
I tried starting a few more times, and the code hasn't popped back up.
The thing is, I don't know how long this code was stored. I replaced my distributor last year and went through dialing-in the cam retard offset, and thinking about it, I don't know if this code was left over from that, or if it's a legit code. Either way, it's getting fuel and will give a chug once in awhile, but just won't fire up.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The thing is, I don't know how long this code was stored. I replaced my distributor last year and went through dialing-in the cam retard offset, and thinking about it, I don't know if this code was left over from that, or if it's a legit code. Either way, it's getting fuel and will give a chug once in awhile, but just won't fire up.
if the code was passed it wouldnt be a CEL and the code would be a history code

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
is your throttle closing
and is your fuel pump priming properly
whats your live data saying

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think throttle is fine, I will double check.
Fuel pump is sounding fine to me on prime.
Didn't think there'd be live data, since no start, but will take a look.
There is always live data if you can interface key-on, you will see sensor values and readings, post what you get from key on and report your ambient temp at that moment.

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess is the timing is off. It’s got to be between 0 and -2. And the crank and cam selectors have to be correlated. I’m sure you probably know all this…, I’m just throwing it out there. Fuel needs to be 60 to 66 psi I believe as well. Fuel pump may have taken a dump. Even if your getting fuel out of the pressure release.., it still may not be enough to dray thru those injectors. Hope you figure it out soon. I just went thru the same thing myself. Among other things.