Oversized Drain plug?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I on my last oil change, i accidentally stripped my drainplug. I was kinda in a bind, so I just got it to a point it was tight in the hole and I RTVd around it. It was fine as a quick fix, but is starting to leave a small spot wherever I park it now.

I already attempted to rethread it when it happened, but it was a no go. Is there any type of oversized plug kit or something I can do, or am I stuck buying a new pan assy?

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you pulled the pan you could remove the bung and weld in a new one. Or if there is enough real estate, bore out past the size of the old threads and tap it for a bigger bolt. I'd want to remove the pan for that to make sure you get all the shavings out though.

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
NAPA used to sell oversized drain plugs, I bet the other stores do as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

Rockauto.com has them in a worst case scenario

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oversize drain plugs should be available almost anywhere they sell auto parts.

Most of them are a self-tapping mess. Reminds me of Ford drain plugs--crappiest in the industry. And--for the record--the new, oversize drain plug will itself be easier to strip than the original plug (in good condition) was.

They're not a great solution to the problem...but they "are" a solution, and a low-labor, low-dollar solution at that. Be careful, good luck.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
An oil pan is cheaper and easier to replace than an engine... I would NEVER run a self-tapping screw into the oil pan.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have used them and the work well. Just get the piggy back style. Then use a good thread sealer. The oil will take a little longer to drain but you do not stress the already weakened threads of the pan. The piggy back style has a smaller seperate drain plug in the center of the new drain plug.