Ouput shaft leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

radical7

admitted truck *****
Reaction score
ok well mines ok, when i changed mine it was just low thats how i figured the seal was bad

vortecv8~5.3l

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced the seal and it doesnt leak anymore. If you have a bad bearing you can replace the seal but in less than 10k you will be doing it again. feel for play on the driveshaft.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine leaks where the front driveshaft comes out. i can sorta push it up a little bit is this normal? my u joint is all coverd in fluid. i was in a hole onetime and i saw a puddle of red tranny fluid below my truck tought it was trans but checkd fluid and its good been good everytime so i think i blew the seal or something that time but ive used 4wd many times after that and its never made any weird noises. can i change this seal on the truck?

vortecv8~5.3l

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine leaks where the front driveshaft comes out. i can sorta push it up a little bit is this normal? my u joint is all coverd in fluid. i was in a hole onetime and i saw a puddle of red tranny fluid below my truck tought it was trans but checkd fluid and its good been good everytime so i think i blew the seal or something that time but ive used 4wd many times after that and its never made any weird noises. can i change this seal on the truck?

Check fluid level in transfercase by removing the fill plug. If it is low fill it up. The seal is definitely blown on the front. You may need a new bearing if it has slop.

Reaction score
as far as the rear seal leaking sometimes the t-case bushing wears on the slip yoke and fluid leaks from there, it will look like the seal but if you change it and it leaks again then you probably need a new bushing/slip yoke, front output shaft seal leaks are common when dirt walks its way into the sealing area, just replace seal and clean the shaft really good before putting the new one in

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Ok. Reviving this old thread. I'm pulling the pump retainer housing off with the rear extension attached to it. Planning on sealing it back up with gasket maker since it's leaking. I changed the the rear output shaft seal (booted type) less than 6 months ago so it shouldn't be coming from there. You can look at the pic and judge for yourself. There is an awful lot of fluid in and around the underside of the truck, and it will drip when parked UPHILL in the driveway. I drained the T-case and it wasn't full, so it isn't leaking past the input shaft seal in the front like I thought it might have.

The question is; am I getting into anything bigger than I think by removing the retainer housing and re-sealing it? It should just come right off, correct? Clean well, apply silicone and install.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach