Opinions on 383 crate motors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a shop ready to swap out my 350 for another at a really good price. My dad found this Blueprint 383 TBI replacement motor (http://www.jegs.com/p/Blueprint-Eng...Engines/1638259/10002/-1?itemPerPage=60&pno=1) and thinks this is what we should do. I was thinking this one instead (http://www.jegs.com/i/Blueprint-Engines/138/BP3833CT1/10002/-1?parentProductId=) and dropping a TBI to Carb intake adapter on and making that work.

What do you think? Are there better crate motor options out there? Would the Vortec head motor be a pain to get running compared to the TBI compatible one?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i think your better of building an engine for a variety of reasons.

A) personally ive never had luck with crate motors and this goes for me and a ton of friends and builders etc. i hear they work online and thats about it
B) the first one uses 5.7 rods which isnt a bad thing but i wouldnt be paying that price for all thats included with that motor
C) for the price of the second one you can build your own with better stuff. now this all can be said if you have the know how to do it yourself.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't have the tools or knowledge to build one myself. I feel comfortable swapping in a crate engine, but I am short on time and the price I was quoted is worth having it done by someone as opposed to it sitting in my shop for months while I try to find the time to work on it.

woody44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been considering putting a zz383 and supercharger in place of my tired 305 in my 98. I think a mild motor with a supercharger would make a better daily driver

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will need trans work with a mild built 383

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your short on time and flush with cash I would go with the second one and keep in mind that the tranny needs to be upgraded. The second on ships sooner, has a roller cam, better heads and is built on a 4 bolt block.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
If your short on time and flush with cash I would go with the second one and keep in mind that the tranny needs to be upgraded. The second on ships sooner, has a roller cam, better heads and is built on a 4 bolt block.

4 built doesnt mean a whole lot for a motor with that low of hp. but yes the second has much better equiptment, and regardless of either youll need a custom tune for your computer.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I bought a Blueprint 383 shortblock (didn't wanna deal with the problematic local machine shops here) and built the rest of the engine. I couldn't say I can give positive results, because the thing burns oil like crazy since installed. I had new cylinder heads, changed intake gaskets twice, replaced the PCV system, eliminated the PCV system...And I still lose a quart of oil every tank of gas. 13,000 miles later...I'll be pulling the block out and re-ringing it sometime soon and see if I can find anything.