Opinions on 383 crate motors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the truck back and it is running beautifully! Had some hiccups with the shop (other customers, broken PROM holder, etc) but we finally have it back. The motor is really strong and runs very well with the stock TBI injection. The exhaust is a big restriction so now that is the next item to be dealt with. That and the safety inspection revealed that the ball joints need to be changed. I have a short deadline to get the truck ready for the elk hunt in 4 weeks.

I am leaning toward a single 3" cat back system because of cost and time, but I have also considered dual 2.5" with an H pipe. Think the 3" will be enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
2.5 is best for tbi, that and an x or h pipe would be proper, as for muffler i have expensive taste everyone likes flowmaster but knowing their flow rates and it being owrse than stock i usually just stay away, magnaflow has a good sound, slp's, borla etc etc

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A single 3" is plenty of flow. I agree that flowdisaster sucks. I personally like magnaflo.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
A single 3" is plenty of flow. I agree that flowdisaster sucks. I personally like magnaflo.

i dont remember where the article was but it was an interesting read, a year or so ago motor trend or one of those magazines basiclaly did a review on just about ever exhaust system out there flowmaster flowed the worst even worse than stock exhaust lol

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to read that article. Because I can't look straight through my flowmaster and has no baffling

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
I want to read that article. Because I can't look straight through my flowmaster and has no baffling

you can or cant? youll have to look for it, one of my fbody friends showed me it at his house at one of the gatherings, i found it to be very interesting but dont recall where it was at

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dropped the truck of at a local muffler shop this afternoon. Doing a new high flow catalytic converter, 3" pipe, and a Magnaflow muffler. Should be ready to pick up tomorrow!