Older engine in a 1992?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

david lucka

Reaction score
So i bought this engine im not sure of the year but i know its the generation of block before my pickups, so its carbureted and has the manual fuel pump. Im putting the heads from my original motor on it so i can use my intake and TBI. But the pickup has a sensor that screws into the side of the block and the engine i got doesnt have that. I dont know what it is, maybe the knock sensor? What do i do with it? Also if i want to get rid of the manual fuel pump can i just put a blocker plate on it or do i have to do something else also?

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The knock sensor does go on the side of the block. It will fit the old style block, remove the pipe plug from the block on the right side (passenger) that’s where it goes.
Removing fuel mechanical pump is fine, make sure to pull the fuel pump push rod out aswell. You should be able to take the block off plate from your old engine.

Beware what cam is in the new engine, tbi injection can be a little finicky.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Should be able to swap timing covers over to fix the fuel pump blockoff issue.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just thought of this are the flywheel/flexplates the same for a 1 piece rear main vs a 2 piece rear main. If not you would have to get a new one if the engine didn't come with what you need.