Old #7 - OR -Building a work truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mybigwarwagon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yesterday ( about a week after the last post) we went out to put the steering box on #7. Since the tie tie rod ends on Moby were brand new we stole those and put them on.

While I was under the truck I saw the water pump was leaking, so I sent Steph to get one while Heath and I put the steering box on.

It was about 8pm when we got done. Going out to do a quick and dirty tape measure alignment now.

mybigwarwagon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And now from Today

And now on IT'S A WORK TRUCK NOT A SHOW TRUCK, the epic saga of one man's demented determination to beat a truck into submission.

This morning, Heath and I went to the scrap yard. On the way back the dash nearly fell out of #7. These GMT400 trucks had a major flaw in the dash design. There are two 10mm bolts that hold the bottom of the dash up. And there are three small screws that hold the top. The three small screws go into steel, the dash is plastic, the mounts break, especially if you do much driving on rough roads ( or non existent roads).
You must be registered for see images attach

You can buy premade clips to repair it, but I am cheap.

I dug through the metal pile and found a piece of aluminum. Marked it

I put it in the redneck bandsaw, and used the worlds dullest hacksaw blade.

Then I changed my orientation.

A pass through the redneck Bridgeport.

My super high tech angle finder.

Then a run through the redneck metal break.

Finally a few of these odd sized washers for the two mounts that were completely broken off.

And finally the clips installed.

It wasn't bad except for the bad sawblade. Total time invested one cigar.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
When we pulled off the wires I was greeted with something I have not seen since the 90s. Packard spark plug wires.

I think it's still made.... I want to say the United Motor Works wires that I bought for the Saturn had that printed on them. I think the truck's wires do too... although those could have been old stock since they came from someone's garage through ebay.

mybigwarwagon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it's still made.... I want to say the United Motor Works wires that I bought for the Saturn had that printed on them. I think the truck's wires do too... although those could have been old stock since they came from someone's garage through ebay.
From everything else I am finding on this truck those were original to it. Possibly they weren't. but the timing had never been set on it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
From everything else I am finding on this truck those were original to it. Possibly they weren't. but the timing had never been set on it.

I don't doubt it.... I think I just pulled the original thermostat, and possibly coolant out of my Saturn today. I'm pretty sure the plugs that I removed this past summer were the originals.

mybigwarwagon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yesterday morning we headed down to the scrap yard. I had a full day booked and no time for nonsense. Of course, the truck had other plans. The drivers front brake started grinding. It was just going to have to grind. I had brand new rotors on the parts truck so I could replace them when I got home.

200 miles later I got home and found a glitter factory.

The pads on the parts truck were a bit thin, but everything was closed so they got put on. I ordered a set of ceramic pads since this truck tows every day.