Oily AC Condenser?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be leftover coolant. It can be oily and leave a residue. Now that you’ve washed it off, I’d just keep an eye on it.

The musty a/c is more than likely a dirty evaporator. These trucks dont have the best design that mitigates leaves and debris from getting down in there and decaying into a muddy slurry. :doublepuke:

Last edited:

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be leftover coolant. It can be oily and leave a residue. Now that you’ve washed it off, I’d just keep an eye on it.

The musty a/c is more than likely a dirty evaporator. These trucks dont have the best design that mitigates leaves and debris from getting down in there and decaying into a muddy slurry. :doublepuke:

Good to know. I'll give it a more thorough washing tomorrow. I'll drive it around for a week and see what happens. I plan on replacing oil cooler lines next weekend so if the smell comes back, I'll replace the condenser.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the inside smells musty, it's just like if your fridge smells musty. Clean the evaporator in blower housing.
Clean the condenser and your radiator.
Unless you can see it pouring out or fluid spout, clean the area, and observe/ check for leak.
All that crap in the fins is defeating heat exchange.
If have leak in AC system it will let you know, it stops working.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update #1: I went to Menards yesterday and sprayed about 1/2 bottle of Simple Green across my condenser and went and washed it at a self serve car wash. Looks a lot better and I've been driving it around. Still smells like Simple Green, but I'm going to drive it a bunch this week to see if the coolant smell comes back.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is a bit concerning to see plastic rammed into my condenser, but I'm going to wait and see...

You must be registered for see images attach