Oil pump issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there room there to put in a "T" fitting so you can have the stock sensor plus a line to a mechanical gauge? Or, better yet, is there another place on the block to plumb in a mechanical gauge line?

Tet97Chev

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there room there to put in a "T" fitting so you can have the stock sensor plus a line to a mechanical gauge? Or, better yet, is there another place on the block to plumb in a mechanical gauge line?

I gave up for the day, I'll check tomorrow. Dealing with other front end noise this afternoon. Almost positive its the sender cause pressure is fluctuating up and down on the gauge, even while at operating temp and driving. Was trying to figure out an easy way to do it without taking the distributor cap off but looks like I'm going to just have to bite the bullet and take it off anyways. I'll post updates when I get the new sender in and see what happens to the gauge.

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
Have you, by chance, traced the wire path? It is NOT a heavy duty wire.

There is an oil pressure sender socket for those deals...I heard some dude used a pair of pliers though.

Some trucks have two which serve different purposes, yes? I would imagine one could plumb a tester at the filter housing.

I find it very suspicious the OP has yet to specify which weight/brand of oil he has chosen - much less brand of filter.

This is not adding up. By all means, start blindly throwing parts at it. You'll eventually git r dun!
:gitrdun

Tet97Chev

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you, by chance, traced the wire path? It is NOT a heavy duty wire.

There is an oil pressure sender socket for those deals...I heard some dude used a pair of pliers though.

Some trucks have two which serve different purposes, yes? I would imagine one could plumb a tester at the filter housing.

I find it very suspicious the OP has yet to specify which weight/brand of oil he has chosen - much less brand of filter.

This is not adding up. By all means, start blindly throwing parts at it. You'll eventually git r dun!
:gitrdun

Socket or no socket, still at the back of the engine compartment underneath the distributor. Tough to get at. Talking about throwing parts, for how often the sender actually needs to be changed whats the sense in buying the socket at all if it can be done just as well with pliers or even channel locks?

Yes, originally there were two. One on the drivers side of the block near the filter housing which was for the gauge, as well as the oil pressure switch which was part of the fuel pump circuit and that lived much near where you find the current ones. They were combined into a combo unit of sorts around '91.

Truck runs Royal Purple full synthetic 5W30, the weight in which the owners manual suggests.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
distributor is very easy to remove, just pop the cap off, take a picture of exactly everything is, so when you go to stab it back in you won't question where it was.