Oil pump issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tet97Chev

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My oil pressure is reading surprisingly low, especially considering i changed my oil about two weeks ago.
Hearing what I think is the valves fluttering a tiny bit on cold starts, but completely goes away after 30 seconds to a minute. There's no knocking or anything else, just the low pressure and fluttering.

I've found some other articles and posts that might suggest that its either the oil pump thats starting to go, or sludge on the screen. Can anybody else provide some insight on this?

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I'd check the pressure switch first, they're known to read low, best upgrade is to just run a real gauge to see if there is an issue or not first before tearing the pan off

Tet97Chev

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd check the pressure switch first, they're known to read low, best upgrade is to just run a real gauge to see if there is an issue or not first before tearing the pan off

It's on my endless to do list, but every time my bank account starts to allow me to spend on stuff like that, something like this happens that requires fixing first lol.
Not sure if the pressure switch would have anything to do with the fluttering whereas the pump might. May just replace both and see if it solves the problem.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Usually when the engine/oil is cold, the pressure should be high and wouldn't cause noises till it got warmer and the pressure drops. I'd at least start with the pressure switch, because if it does turn out to be something with the pressure, its cheaper to replace a few parts over a new engine!

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First things first: is the oil level correct? Simple to check. Next, what oil did you install. A good, brand name 5W-30 should be in the pan.

Next: As mentioned earlier, check the pressure with a reliable mechanical gauge. If there is good pressure from start up to fully warm, the pump, screen, etc. must all be good.

Finally, what is a valve flutter? Get a good engine guy to listen to the engine when this happens. It might be nothing to worry about.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you describe as a flutter sounds like what I would call lifter tap or lifter tick, which is simply a hydraulic lifter that hasn't fully primed with oil. This is not uncommon and isn't anything to concern yourself with, since it goes away after a minute at cold idle. If it continued to do this all the time, or if it tapped or ticked at operating temp along with low oil pressure, I would be concerned. Check the reading against a mechanical gauge and go from there. If your factory gauge is wrong, replace the sender and see if it helps.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Tet97Chev

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Parts shops here closed on Sunday's, checking with a mechanical gauge tomorrow and replacing the sender to see if that fixes the problem. I'll post updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tet97Chev

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What you describe as a flutter sounds like what I would call lifter tap or lifter tick, which is simply a hydraulic lifter that hasn't fully primed with oil. This is not uncommon and isn't anything to concern yourself with, since it goes away after a minute at cold idle. If it continued to do this all the time, or if it tapped or ticked at operating temp along with low oil pressure, I would be concerned. Check the reading against a mechanical gauge and go from there. If your factory gauge is wrong, replace the sender and see if it helps.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Just changed the oil for the second time in two weeks along with installing a better filter. Still doing the same things. Pressure gauge still dancing around without dropping below 40-60, which leads me to believe it is the pressure switch/sender. Just real low for how recently I changed the oil (last week/today). Trying to figure out how to get behind/below the distributor without taking it out. Anybody have any tips for this?

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just changed mine in my 90 Sierra 5.7L. It was a real pain in the butt to get the old sensor out. I removed the dist. cap. Then I used a pair of pliers and just kept at it until I was able to get the old one out. It's the only tool I could find to get at the old sensor.