Oil pressure..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Hendrix

Reaction score
Nothing related to oil pressure would prevent initial startup.
Refer to what I posted earlier. it was running, you primed the oil system, then reinstalled the original the distributor.

You stated:
"]like I triple checked (if not more), i replaced all the plugs, the rotor"

Were these already installed when you had it running previously? If so, these are mot the problem.
However, if you installed these after you primed the oil system, there is a very small chance that these could be part of the problem. (Ive had issues with new spark plugs causing a hard to start and rough running issue before)

Something has changed between the previous "running" condition and the current "not starting" condition. Priming the oil system did not cause this...
First thing to do is to make sure the engine has ALL of the same parts and components it had when it was last running. (Put the old stuff back on)

Definitely check the distributor position!

If you are getting spark at the plugs, the complete ignition is functioning correctly and all electrical connections are good. It also means the cap, rotor and plug wires are okay. (Again, put the old stuff back on if needed) If the injectors are spraying fuel, there is a very good chance they are working correctly.

This leaves only the distributor as the issue. It could be as simple as 1-2 teeth out of correct position which would not allow enough adjustment to get close to correct ignition timing. Or, it could be 180 degrees out of position. As a quick check, you could always move all 8 plug wires four positions clockwise on the cap if they will reach. This will effectively correct for 180 out.

Keep up with this thread and recheck everything...

Good luck!

swervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didnt even think of moving the wires 4 positions over to reverse it, glad you mentioned that because I really didnt want to take the valve cover off again and the screw holes that hold the cap down to the distributor are stripped so i had to get a screw with a bit different thread for now and it's barely holding haha. Anyway I feel like a dumbass now cause the distributor was 180° out.. but I couldnt be happier right now, i got it going and it sounds like it's running good other then maybe being slightly off on the timing, now to fix that and put the rest of truck back together! Thanks alot for all the help everyone! I learned so much from all of this!

John Hendrix

Reaction score
Awesome news! Congrats on getting it running again. Glad I was able to help.

The old PLUG WIRE TRICK.........Its been about 35 years since I did that on an old 350. It was in a 1978 3/4Ton truck. My brother had just rebuilt the motor and could not get it running. My first thought was distributor being 180 out. He was being hard headed and would not let me pull the distributor. So while he was not looking, I moved the plug wires.

He did not know what to think when the engine just all of a sudden started and ran.

I think it was about 2 weeks later when I told him what I did. He did not believe it until he traced out the plug wire routing...I think we corrected the distributor the next weekend