Oil pressure..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok
They make 2 kinds of priming tools: the one I bought then returned because it didn't seal off the distributor area so didn't build pressure and the kind that does, hence the borrowing of an old, gutted distributor. If they don't come along after a minute or 2 then I'd be concerned.
Ok sounds good thanks alot!

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I listen to the pistons. If there banging for longer then 10sec I turn it off. I'm sure I'm wrong but it's piece of mind. Any engine shaves the walls a little but so long as oil pumping and circulating it should quit down instantly. If it doesn't and takes a little longer then your engine wearing itself out faster. But to answer your question it's not so much of a time limit. It's more of listening. For example say your safe to have the engine run dry for 5 min. Are you really gonna do that lol. You put oil, lubed it, and sounds like your using caution. You have control when you start it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just in case not everyones reading the replies.. how long can I run the motor with out oil before doing major damage? I was hoping to try this out today if possible. Last time I started the truck was probably around 2 years ago (if that makes any difference), been a long time coming... and I've also applied assembly lube to the lifters, pushrod tips, rockers, ect.. and before I reassembled everything I poured most of the motor oil over the heads trying cover the rockers, valve springs ect..

Not sure, but there are plenty of YouTube videos on it. Personally I wouldn't run it without oil.

swervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I listen to the pistons. If there banging for longer then 10sec I turn it off. I'm sure I'm wrong but it's piece of mind. Any engine shaves the walls a little but so long as oil pumping and circulating it should quit down instantly. If it doesn't and takes a little longer then your engine wearing itself out faster. But to answer your question it's not so much of a time limit. It's more of listening. For example say your safe to have the engine run dry for 5 min. Are you really gonna do that lol. You put oil, lubed it, and sounds like your using caution. You have control when you start it.
Fair enough! Sounds good, thanks

swervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure, but there are plenty of YouTube videos on it. Personally I wouldn't run it without oil.
Yea I'm really hesitant to do so but at the same time almost everything's got atleast a bit of lube whether it be assembly lube, motor oil, or fogging oil it's not totally dried out.. think I'm going to start it for about a minute or 2 and hope I see oil and don't hear any bad noises..

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I'm really hesitant to do so but at the same time almost everything's got atleast a bit of lube whether it be assembly lube, motor oil, or fogging oil it's not totally dried out.. think I'm going to start it for about a minute or 2 and hope I see oil and don't hear any bad noises..

If there's no oil in the pan you're never going to see the pushrods spit oil so I really don't see what you're trying to achieve here.

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just in case not everyones reading the replies.. how long can I run the motor with out oil before doing major damage? I was hoping to try this out today if possible. Last time I started the truck was probably around 2 years ago (if that makes any difference), been a long time coming... and I've also applied assembly lube to the lifters, pushrod tips, rockers, ect.. and before I reassembled everything I poured most of the motor oil over the heads trying cover the rockers, valve springs ect..

Since you already spun the engine for a while, you have circulated oil through the main oil galleys unless there is a major problem. If you fire it up and don’t have oil pressure indicated on your gauge within a matter of seconds, shut it down and find the problem. Getting oil to the top end through the lifters can take a little while longer, but that is not the same as not having oil pressure. The valve train should quiet down pretty quickly as all the lifters pump up and you get oil to the rockers. Pay attention to the sound and check for oil at the rockers after a couple minutes run time.

EDIT: My intention was not to leave a misleading post, but I did so I will say: Always verify you build oil pressure when priming.

Last edited:

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hope youre not looking at the factory oil pressure gauge. They are worthless.
Install a cheapo mechanical gauge.
The idea behind using a priming tool on on the pump is not to build oil pressure. Its to drive the pump without the rotating parts moving against each other untill you get oil all the way to the top end so you can build oil pressure.
It can take a long time to pump oil all the way to the top.
I prime them untill i see oil then let it sit and do it again.
Remember, the oil is a "cushion" between moving parts. it keeps them from contacting each other.
As soon as your assembly lube gets pushed out, you are bone dry if nothing is being pumped into replace it.
The rub between say a crank and a main bearing if its goes dry will spike friction temperature in a seconds.
Not minutes, seconds
The rule of thumb, no oil? dont start it.
Its one thing to spin the mass with no oil and not started.
Do that with it running and no oil and the combustion stroke will smoke every bearing in it.
Im also kinda curious, when you say you did a "top end rebuild" what did you do and what caused you to do it?
Are you absolutley sure that your oil pump shaft didnt break? They have a plastic collar that the distributor fits into. Yep, you read that right. The stock ones are plastic. Throw that **** out and get s steel one.
Are you sure that the screen on your oil pump pickup isnt plugged full of sludge?
And, are you sure the damn thing didnt just fall off.
Yep, sometimes they do that too.
They are just tired
Skip some oil changes and tuneups and ignore the entire emissions systems on these and you will end up with some tar and crud that is just about good to pave a road. TBI systems will run for years after you have neglected them. They only give up when they are so plugged full of **** that nothing works anymore.
And that is when everyone gets on here after the parts howitzer has been fired
"Whats wrong with my truck"
Everything, my friend, everything
So. to answer the question about how long you can run it without oil?
About 30 seconds.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hope youre not looking at the factory oil pressure gauge. They are worthless.
Install a cheapo mechanical gauge.
The idea behind using a priming tool on on the pump is not to build oil pressure. Its to drive the pump without the rotating parts moving against each other untill you get oil all the way to the top end so you can build oil pressure.
It can take a long time to pump oil all the way to the top.
I prime them untill i see oil then let it sit and do it again.
Remember, the oil is a "cushion" between moving parts. it keeps them from contacting each other.
As soon as your assembly lube gets pushed out, you are bone dry if nothing is being pumped into replace it.
The rub between say a crank and a main bearing if its goes dry will spike friction temperature in a seconds.
Not minutes, seconds
The rule of thumb, no oil? dont start it.
Its one thing to spin the mass with no oil and not started.
Do that with it running and no oil and the combustion stroke will smoke every bearing in it.
Im also kinda curious, when you say you did a "top end rebuild" what did you do and what caused you to do it?
Are you absolutley sure that your oil pump shaft didnt break? They have a plastic collar that the distributor fits into. Yep, you read that right. The stock ones are plastic. Throw that **** out and get s steel one.
Are you sure that the screen on your oil pump pickup isnt plugged full of sludge?
And, are you sure the damn thing didnt just fall off.
Yep, sometimes they do that too.

Skip some oil changes and tuneups and ignore the entire emissions systems on these and you will end up with some tar and crud that is just about good to pave a road. TBI systems will run for years after you have neglected them. They only give up when they are so plugged full of **** that nothing works anymore.
And that is when everyone gets on here after the parts howitzer has been fired
"Whats wrong with my truck"
Everything, my friend, everything
So. to answer the question about how long you can run it without oil?
About 30 seconds.