Oil pressure gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I first start my truck, the oil pressure gauge is at half. But, when I start driving it, the oils pressure drops down to about a quarter. Should I be concerned about this? And is there any need to get it fixed?

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
What oil are you using 10w30? 5w30?, how many miles on engine?

whens the last oil change? what filter?

What motor?

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What oil are you using 10w30? 5w30?, how many miles on engine?

whens the last oil change? what filter?

What motor?
5w30, 189,062 miles, 2,500 miles ago, not sure what filter, and it's a 5.7l vortec... The engine runs strong and doesn't seem to have issues... The oil was changed last at the chevy dealer.

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
5w30, 189,062 miles, 2,500 miles ago, not sure what filter, and it's a 5.7l vortec... The engine runs strong and doesn't seem to have issues... The oil was changed last at the chevy dealer.

mine usually runs at around 40 idleing when its first started and when im under throttle it goes to about 60

tbh i wouldnt put off the fix, could be maybe the oil sending unit or oil pressure switch, i had the same type of symptoms but mine would drop so low that the check gages light would come on and i had oil and it ran fine, then come to find out after a 2hr drive back home with the ok from my mechanic shop the motor now has a knock

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
20 psi ( quarter of the way up) is fine at hot idle. Does it go up when accelerating and at cruise?

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
GMs general rule of thumb is 10 psi per 1000 rpm.

Could be anything from faulty oil pressure sending unit, cluster gauge failure or even worn rod bearings.

Put 10w30 Castrol GTX conventional in there, I gained oil pressure from that, never drops below 40 psi ever. I also use puralator gold filter.

gnrl

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be just wearin out. Motor gets use, clearances get bigger, oil resisance gets lower, pressure goes down. Circle of life, like the lion king.

But you are still in the good times. You could possibly have another +100k left on that motor, if you keep up with regular fluid changes.

If you're really bugged by it you could do one of the following..
Quick fix: use heavier oil
Medium fix: get a HV oil pump
Long fix: rebuild/replace the motor