oil pressure dropping at idol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spyder012

Reaction score
I have a 97 gmc with a 5.7 vortec and lately my oil pressure started dropping down to like one line above zero when my engine came to an idol in drive, but the pressure is normal otherwise. What can this be? help

Thanks,
Hunter

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
I have this same thing going on with my 93 Chevy 5.7 TBI. Thought it was normal until I drove my wife's SUV and seen her needle does not move much at all. I will be watching this post for sure.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's normal in a chevy for the needle to move and also keep in mind that the minimum pressure is 10psi per 1k rpm's, so the minimum would be 10 at 1'000 rpm, if you are concerned about it go your local parts store and pick up the cheapest mechanical oil preesure gauge they have and temporarily plumb it in place of your oil pressure sender and then you will know if you have oil pressure or not. I have had several 350 chevy's with 175- 250k miles and they usually read about 20 psi at idle and 40-45 on the interstate at 2-2500k rpm's.

spyder012

Reaction score
my truck only has 85,000 miles on it so its not worn at all and it just started doing this a few days ago , i have never seen the needle move this much.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Mine has 176,*** miles. Freaks me out when I come into town after driving 75-80MPH and have to stop right away at the light. That needle springs to the left quick, I'm shocked I dont lose pressure but I dont.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I hear that well hopefully it's just a bad sender, I would also change the oil and filter.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
our truck does this, but it drops then kicks back up and drops with the cam... it makes it feel like its got some huge cam in it

spyder012

Reaction score
changing oil and filter tomorrow thanks for all the help made me feel a little better.