Oil Cooler Line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 92 Z71 has an oil leak from one of the oil cooler lines. I'm assuming it's the return since it's the one on the bottom. I know approximately where the leak is coming from, and if there is a way to seal it without replacing it I'd like to try. The lines are cheap but it will be a pain in the butt. The leak is slow enough that I don't have to add oil, but enough to sludge up the bottom and leave drops on my driveway.

I don't know how much pressure goes through those lines so I don't even know if it's possible to seal it from the outside, but if it is I'll give it a shot.

Any ideas?

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
My buddy took a rubber hose. put a slit down the middle, spread a light layer of rtv onto the hose, then slipped it over the cooler line. Seemed to have worked pretty good forhim.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you want to keep it get hoses made at a hydraulic shop, the replacements don't last, I went through two sets in a year and both leaked at the crimp to the metal line so I just removed them and plugged the ports in the block.

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, that appears to be where mine is leaking from. I hadn't thought of removing the hoses altogether. Would that be an issue? They are there for a reason. But I don't usually pull anything heavy or drive in extreme conditions. That may be a viable option for me, I'll have to investigate that. Thanks.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not all trucks came with it, the only reason its there is the tow package or hd cooling. you wont have any problems, If it was everyday maybe id keep it but in all reality if I thought I needed it id get a better after market unit. just put pipe plugs with some Teflon sealant on them where the fittings go in the block.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought if you just plugged the ports on the filter adapter it wouldn't filter properly.

I also wanted rid of the sideways filter so it was a double win for me.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when I did my 454, a mechanic looked up the flow routing and there was no issue. for that matter on a small block id take the adaptor right off, on 4wd you can run a straight down filter if you run the shorty that is the same diameter as the 1 quart filter on my 454, some 2000 454s came this way. I wanted to keep the big filter so I kept the adaptor but on a sbc with the puny stock filter you aren't losing any capacity with the bigger diameter shorter filter.