Oil consumption with no blue exhaust ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlexHawk94

Reaction score
Hello everyone, recently I've already introduced myself in specified thread, if somebody intrested I added a link in the end of this post.

I have 5.7 Vortec 96' Tahoe 5-doors
I did engine replacement recently but seems like I will have to do this again :/

My problem is oil consumption.
It takes 1.5 qrt on 1000 miles. (or 1 litre on 1000 km)

But:

-Engine runs good, it goes fast 0-60 and easy reach 80-100 mph with no problems at all. Power and torque is perfect.
-NO blue smoke when I start engine after long park either short breaks at gas stations.
-NO blue smoke at acceleration.
-Fuel economy is perfect.
-NO knocking.

I think there is no oil leak because everything is clean on asphalt after park under my truck.

I'm using 10-40 Mobil semi-synthetic oil.

Also, I think it's needed to make an important notice:
-I use 10-40 viscosity due to low oil pressure on 5-30. (probably it was a bad oil but I'm scary now of using 5-30)
With 10-40 I stick at 150-200 kpa (20-30 psi) at idle on hot vehicle. It's not constant and can be more or less sometimes, especially at long traffic jams at hot weather. And it stays more constant at warm/cold weather.

I have removed oil cooling lines. Does this effect at oil and reduce pressure at long idle in traffice jams?
Also, I think it would be a good idea to check the oil pump and clean it.

But anyways, what's your idea about oil consumption?

I have new sparks (NGK, correct gap) and just 2k miles on them, do they look like oil burn?

You must be registered for see images attach

and here i add link to my first introduction thread
http://www.gmt400.com/threads/an-old-chevy-in-russia-yes.38696/

sorry for my weird english, I'm from Russia. It's abit difficult to deal with such vehicles here. Full rebild of GM 5.7 costs here $$ 4000 and takes 3-4 weeks due to parts shipping from USA

P.S.: I have absolutely no idea about how much miles this engine ran for 22 years and was it ever repaired. I'm sure that it has not less than 300-400k mileage

Last edited:

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably mad because you called it an old chevy
Did you check radiator
Maybe some oil is weaseling it's way on there

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replace your pcv valve. It takes crankcase oil vapor from the engine. If it is leaking then it will be constantly be sucking small amounts of oil into the intake.

Reaction score
What do you mean it recently had an engine replacement? Is this engine brand new or newly rebuilt with overbore, pistons, rings etc?

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What do you mean it recently had an engine replacement? Is this engine brand new or newly rebuilt with overbore, pistons, rings etc?
Like Skylark was saying. If it was the pcv valve they may have put the old valve on the new motor and it's leaking crankcase oil and dumping it into the intake. And new motor doesn't mean it couldn't have leaking internal gaskets

AlexHawk94

Reaction score
He means (I'm assuming) that oil is getting into the antifreeze/coolant by means of faulty head or intake gasket. Check your antifreeze for a oily sheen.

antifreeze is ok, no oil in antifreeze and the level is constant

Replace your pcv valve. It takes crankcase oil vapor from the engine. If it is leaking then it will be constantly be sucking small amounts of oil into the intake.
I replaced pcv valve (small thing with spring inside) already but i did not replace "PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) Valve Cover" wich looks like this DORMAN47026
You must be registered for see images attach

it's just engine from another tahoe died in car crash :D but before installing I rebuiled and completely cleaned intake manifold, replaced all intake gaskets, installed new fuel injector, replaced thermostat, pcv valve and something more. but i didn't do rering, rebore and etc...

AlexHawk94

Reaction score
So i have replaced pcv valve recently and cleaned the vent hoses but nothing changed, still high oil consumption. thinking about using 5-50 oil...is it bad idea?

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is not going to fix your problem. And the heavier oil you use the less oil will flow. It'll make higher oil pressure but restrict flow. Pressure and flow rate are indirectly proportional.