Off Road Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From a body and paint guy's perspective that thing has a dynomite looking paint job on it. Looks super straight to me. Take off down a trail and it tightens up on you with no room to turn around, or slide sideways into a tree going through a water hole it get's costly real quick. You say mountain pass but that could mean different things to different people.

Fixed a few Jeeps that came out of Pisgah forest banged up, a lot of weekend warriors around here. Shyt happens, you just never know when. Pushed to extremes, stuff breaks.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But at the end of the day it's just an old chevy, and if it gets some damage it'll at least come from some fun.

Buy a dedicated trail or mud rig. You can buy em cheaper than you can fix what you have after you trash it. And you will.

Maybe that's what this is planned to be. RCSB is a good starting point for a trail rig.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But at the end of the day it's just an old chevy, and if it gets some damage it'll at least come from some fun.

Maybe that's what this is planned to be. RCSB is a good starting point for a trail rig.
Sure, but I've never understood starting with a nice one. All my mud and trail rigs have been far less nice than the OPs to start with.

Harry Dawg

Reaction score
What 351FUN said.
In my opinion, the IFS on these trucks is their weak point off road.
I took mine on a "moderate" trail ONCE, and almost didn't get it out of there.
When attempting to climb a rock ledge, I got some wheel hop and my tie rods pretzeled up.
After straightening it to the best of my ability, I got dragged out by a Jeep.
My driveshaft got bent after contacting some rocks (no control due to being towed) which blew out the tail shaft seal in my transmission.
*This was an extended cab, so the drive shaft length and pinion angle is probably better on your single cab.

GM did not intend for these to be off road rigs. Buy a solid axle rig if that is what you want to do.

TwinDuro

Reaction score
Nice lookin' truck Erhoth! My adventure/trail/work rig is a very similar truck, a 1992 K1500 RCSB that I explore, wheel and camp with here in Washington state and Oregon (and hopefully a trip to BC-Canada in the next year). The dangers of messing up your paint and damaging your rig has been well covered here, so I won't go into that. There are so many variables... As someone said back in the day "choose your own level of risk."

You must be registered for see images attach

My truck has plenty of trail "pinstripes" but it also has a bad paint re-spray that was done before I bought it (that is now failing), so while I don't purposely abuse the paint (or truck), scratches are just the cost of doing business, especially where there is a lot of low-hanging brush in the northwest (I try to remember to carry loppers and a small chainsaw).

I'll tell you briefly about my rig with some photos and you can take from it what you may. Not trying to hijack the thread, but it may be useful info for you. It's a 1992 K1500 with a factory TBI 5.7, NV4500, NP241 and 3.73 gears (no G80, locker or LSD) clocking in at 282,000 miles. The only "modifications" I've done to it are adding oversize, good all terrain tires on NBS wheels (33" E-rated 285/75R16 BFG K02s), KYB Monomax shock absorbers, giving the front torsion bars a slight crank (not maxed out) and adding Cunningham Machine Tie Rod Sleeves while was rebuilding the steering. When the radiator went out, I also upgraded it to the large 34" wide bigblock/tow package unit as well because...why not. That's it. It's totally stock otherwise.

Having the redicously low 1st gear in the NV4500 5-speed manual in low range is very useful, but also sometimes having an MT on loose, rocky stuff can be a PIA.

The biggest thing that has helped while trail running is airing down the tires to 15-20psi which makes the ride significantly better and lets the tires work well because the contact patch grows and the sidewalls flex. I know y'all have shale roads and other rock hazards in Colorado, so as with everything, prep-and technique changes with the region (NW vs SW vs SE vs NE vs. MW etc). Of course, then you have to air-up later. My tire bag has a Vair 88P 12V pump, an ARB air down tool, a stick tire gauge and a good plug kit.

So far, with careful driving and good technique (which more often then not includes a buddy in another truck who can act as a spotter), it has gone everywhere I wanted to go including the Naches Trail, twice, and some pretty fun low-key rock crawling. When in doubt, I always try to get out of the truck and walk ahead to see if the trail is what I think it is to avoid disaster. Going slow and taking your time is key. Rushing almost always causes issues. Going slow and scouting ahead allows you to see where to pick your line, see trouble spots and identify issues before they happen.

If you're trying a trail/route that is more challenging, definitely having an experienced buddy along who's willing to guide and help with you is important as well. Lord knows my wheeling buddy sees a lot of stuff I fail to and warns me via walkie talkie.

Also having a good set of recovery gear and knowing how to use it is important. I carry a bunch of heavy tow straps, tree straps in various lengths and an 8,000 pound come-along as well as a good shovel. A winch would be better, but isn't quite in the budget yet.

After wheeling and exploring in this rig for years now, my only "want" has been a selectable rear differential locker (Eaton E-locker) because in off-camber situations, sometimes that extra rear traction would be handy. Maybe someday. I was told early on that the width of my "full size rig" would be a problem but so far it hasn't been as issue, as most modern jeeps are wider then the 77" that the GMT400 is.

Apologies for the novel of text here, but hopefully there's something helpful in here for ya. Huh, just realized this is my first post here. Anywho, thanks for all the members on GMT400 that have given me endless tech tips over the years!

Attachments

• 1992 K1500 #3.jpeg
    1992 K1500 #3.jpeg
    565.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 1992 K1500 #2.jpeg
    1992 K1500 #2.jpeg
    382.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Jwelar

Reaction score
As long as your truck has 4WD you should be good on some sort of off-road escapades. Nothing too hardcore based on what I see though.
If you want it to perform to a higher level there are some things you need to look at.
1) If you can change the wheels/tires, go with a smaller diameter wheel with the largest tire you can SAFELY fit. More rubber = more contact patch when aired down = more traction in off-road situations. It also provides a better ride.

2) As has been mentioned the IFS is a limiting factor. Gladiators have that solid front axle which allows it to flex quite a bit better than an IFS take this into consideration when choosing a line off-road.

3) That departure angle is goin to be something to pay attention to. When exiting an obstacle the departure angle is how much distance you have from the rear tire to the next contact point with de ground. Even Gladiators have issues with this more than an JKU/JLU.

4) Take your time!!!!! Being off the beaten track is something that can be very relaxing and challenging. There’s no rush so be methodical and think through the challenge. You’ll get way better results than the “When in doubt, power out” approach of wheeling.

5) Find some people that are experienced off-road and that tend to be sober throughout the journey. I’ve been stuck on a trail due to breakage for way too many hours of my life because someone did the whole “hold my beer” thing.

Other than that go find some dirt and get your tires in it. Leave it cleaner than you found it and Tread Lightly.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a nice truck like yours I put Craigers rims she looked sweet in fact when I went to look for another new truck someone wanted to buy my truck I traded it in and it sold that day.

Let me add this my dad had a 1976 Scout well sneaky me said let me go into a muddy road no cop can come in here so I took they Scout in with a girl I was dating and we got stuck in a ditch it was so sideways I thought it was going to turn over well my brother came a just gave me a little pull and we were free now for the clean up poor girl had mud all over her new white pants.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Years ago I had a 73 Blazer and had 1 ton axles under it. Lots of spring articulation. I had a hard time breaking it but did sometimes. Took it all over the Tillamook Forest here in Oregon. Rock crawled and hairy trails. Been to MOAB and up Potato Salad Hill with it. The IFS rigs cannot do what my truck could. You have a nice truck. Buy a beater and buy one with "live" axles under it. Basically straight axles with softer spring and 6" to 8" of lift and big Swamper tires aired down and crawl around and not worry about scrapes and dents. That is what I did and pulled it everywhere. Was not street legal. Get yourself a light Jeep and get crazy with it and pull with this truck you have. Everyone on the trails and rocks called my rig "BRUTUS" for a reason. If I bent some body parts, I cut them out of the way. Hard to break a DANA 60 front and GM 14 bolt in the rear. Get Detroit lockers at both ends. At least a 4.88 gears.

Last edited: