Obs dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
For the A pillar I just made holes for the handle in the plastic lol. No need to go wild :p
Guess it depends on how picky you are. I notice the 95-up pillar plastic is formed up towards the holes, and has a depression where your hand goes. Not just holes made in the existing shape. And as far as picky goes, ignore the holes in the headliner ;) it's from a '97 4x4 and I hadn't re-covered it yet. Didn't see the need to add a ceiling grab handle when I already had the A-pillar one dealt with.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Yeah it's pretty obviously not original and you can see the blue metal behind the ends of the handle if you're looking for it, but I'm not super picky about it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah it's pretty obviously not original and you can see the blue metal behind the ends of the handle if you're looking for it, but I'm not super picky about it.
That was kinda how I envisioned setting one up for driver's side when someone else had asked about doing it. Seems trivial to do - if you're not picky. Simply rob another bracket and handle from the passenger side of a donor truck, locate and weld it in place on driver's side, and carefully mark/cut a couple holes in the trim plastic and you're done.

Richard

Alex2006

Reaction score
Done it too (opposite direction: old to new), but only because I was ditching a non-running (engine scrapped) 6.5td from a 1994 and moving a Vortec 7.4 w/everything over from a 1996, wanted the truck to be serviceable as a 1996 model with no glitches. Even with moving over complete harnesses and all, what a freakin' chore to cover all the bases.

You'd also have to drill out the welds for the passenger A-pillar grab handle bracket, because it will interfere with the 88-94 trim plastic, which will need to be swapped in because the 95-98 trim plastic won't fit the 88-94 dash. See those two welds by the windshield? Hope you got a right angle drill with a small body and chuck. ;) Or just go ahead and pull the windshield. Maybe, just hack the crap out of the bracket with a cutoff wheel and the trim plastic might fit over the remains.

Or sell your 95 and buy a 94

Richard
Could I just send it to get it done by any custom upholstery company near me?