Obs dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex2006

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, solid first post.

I would start with a junkyard or complete parts truck.

Why though? 95 is an in-between year and may give extra difficulties.
I like the way the square dash looks makes it look more oldschool. Do you know what would be my biggest worry doing this swap?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I like the way the square dash looks makes it look more oldschool. Do you know what would be my biggest worry doing this swap?
The steering column support bracket that is spot-welded to the firewall has to be swapped, steering column from the wheel to the intermediate shaft that connects to the steering gearbox as well. Then wiring, doubly so for a 95 because they're such an in-between year model. I've done the swap myself, 97 to 94. It's not a novice job lol.
Welcome to the forum, solid first post.

I would start with a junkyard or complete parts truck.

Why though? 95 is an in-between year and may give extra difficulties.
Junkyard works great for some of the smaller parts but you'll be hard pressed to find a complete intact dash core. LMC sells one (or did at one point as I got mine there, maybe they still do) but it's pricey... Worth it imo if this is a swap you really want to do (or you're looking to replace your destroyed dash).

Last edited:

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Just buy a 94 and sell your 95. There's a LOT to this job and while many people feel they'll "never sell the truck" you likely eventually will, and this will really hurt the value in most buyer's eyes.
I'll put money down on that for me and my own truck lol. They'll have to bury my dead ass IN my truck. I built it for me and me alone :rofl:

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
It's more just a hassle to rewire essentially the entire interior and swap out the steering column and its support bracket, the latter of which you have to drill off the firewall of two trucks. Like I said, I've done it, but expect your truck will be down for an extended period while you do the swap.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's more just a hassle to rewire essentially the entire interior and swap out the steering column and its support bracket, the latter of which you have to drill off the firewall of two trucks. Like I said, I've done it, but expect your truck will be down for an extended period while you do the swap.
Done it too (opposite direction: old to new), but only because I was ditching a non-running (engine scrapped) 6.5td from a 1994 and moving a Vortec 7.4 w/everything over from a 1996, wanted the truck to be serviceable as a 1996 model with no glitches. Even with moving over complete harnesses and all, what a freakin' chore to cover all the bases.

You must be registered for see images attach

You'd also have to drill out the welds for the passenger A-pillar grab handle bracket, because it will interfere with the 88-94 trim plastic, which will need to be swapped in because the 95-98 trim plastic won't fit the 88-94 dash. See those two welds by the windshield? Hope you got a right angle drill with a small body and chuck. ;) Or just go ahead and pull the windshield. Maybe, just hack the crap out of the bracket with a cutoff wheel and the trim plastic might fit over the remains.

You must be registered for see images attach

Or sell your 95 and buy a 94

Richard