OBDII Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BryanGT

Reaction score
I have a 98 K1500 and cannot for the life of me to get any scanner to read the OBDII port. Using an ELM327 bluetooth dongle with Dashcommand. I tested them both successfully on my Dodge. The cig lighter has power, the port is getting power, I can pair with it, but it cannot detect the vehicle.

Im about at the end of my rope after rebuilding the engine and everything else on this truck. I need to set the retard.

Does anyone have any ideas?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Some cheaper OBD2 adapters don't play well with certain vehicles. Just because it works on your Dodge doesn't mean it will work on the Chevy. I have a cheap Amazon ELM327 adapter that seems to only work with GMT400s for some reason, but then I try it on other vehicles and get the same result you describe. On the other hand, I have a $90 PLX Kiwi that connects to every vehicle I try it on with no issues. Long and short of it, try a different ELM327 adapter.

EDIT - As a side note, I never found DashCommand to be all that useful. Torque is a much better app IMO, but I'm on Android.

BryanGT

Reaction score
I also have an SCT tuner that can pull codes, it cannot connect.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Df2x4 do you have a link to the adapter you have from amazon??

The cheap ones I have a few of seem to have been removed, but they look just like these:

http://www.amazon.com/ELM327-OBD-II-Bluetooth-CAN-BUS-Diagnostic/dp/B008TL6RT0/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1439017772&sr=8-13&keywords=elm327

My nice PLX is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/PLX-Devices-Bluetooth-Smartphone-Wireless/dp/B00U0YNMS8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439017880&sr=8-2&keywords=plx+kiwi

The PLX has actually gone down in price quite a bit since I bought mine.

21Actual

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you rulled out a com error by trying another scanner. Even one of the cheap code read only ones.

I too have heard the bluetooth adapers being hit and miss. Although my $8 eBay paired with Tourque pro one has worked on every vehicle Ive plugged it into so far

BryanGT

Reaction score
I do have another scanner, and it fails as well. Both work on the Dodge.

BryanGT

Reaction score
As an update, I've verified all ground straps, verified continuity from pcm to dlc, verified grounds on dlc. At this point I'm thinking it's the computer.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is an odd one. I've never heard of one of the black box PCMs failing in that way, but anything is possible I suppose.