1997 Chevrolet k1500. Obd2 issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
So i replaced my check engine light bulb sense it was blown. I now the light should be on cause cat issues. But when i plug in a scanner it wont connect the scanner pops up kwp2000 link error. Its a cheap 40$ performance tool scanner I have power to the port my cig lighter works radio etc. I need help thanks. Even when i unplug a emmisions sensor it dosent read it

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why are you burning bridges you seen yet.
Do you have the service manuals for your year , if you don't the link is in forum, search here or maybe Rich will drop it in here, thanks Rich.
Take your truck to AutoZone or one of those parts places have them try their scanner see if reads. Cheap code readers are cheap.
Invest in a better one, more reliable one if you want to do more of your own work.
Get the service manual to check your OBD port, pins, damage , wires. Don't guess, examine what's exactly known. Then apply diagnostic testing to find an answer. Emissions sensor is like saying Apples, what kind of apples. What sensor, we can't see it.
Did you call the scanner manufacturer and ask what this " com error " means to you?

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
Maf sensor egr any of them it dosent read them says. link error. Im 16 im not a professional thats why i came here. . I replaced obd2 port. Pins are good connections are solid.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We're dealing with 2nd generation computer control. You need the factory service manual. It will be your new best friend. Your in a perfect situation to really learn this vehicle. The ECM reads, monitors, and controls the so many functions. With the service manual, free download in the forum ,search in here, and even a cheap volt/ ohm meter you can test or trouble shoot a lot. But specifics you'll need a scanner that can communicate with ECM, and give values for sensor positions. So much and many functions are electric or voltage dependant. Without data feedback, any direction is guessing.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
I
We're dealing with 2nd generation computer control. You need the factory service manual. It will be your new best friend. Your in a perfect situation to really learn this vehicle. The ECM reads, monitors, and controls the so many functions. With the service manual, free download in the forum ,search in here, and even a cheap volt/ ohm meter you can test or trouble shoot a lot. But specifics you'll need a scanner that can communicate with ECM, and give values for sensor positions. So much and many functions are electric or voltage dependant. Without data feedback, any direction is guessing.
Got a scanner to read. It has no engine codes. Thanks