OBD2 won’t connect to ecu

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JBis

Reaction score
Trying to read sensor data from 2000 c3500 5.7.

Diagnostic port has power and can read codes only from an AutoZone reader. Service manual says test for continuity for purple wire going to pcm from obd2 port.

And says to replace the entire pom if there is continuity, confirming that there are no wiring issues. Is there any chance of repairing it or should I just get a pre flashed unit from flagship one?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If the AutoZone reader is pulling codes successfully, that makes me think this may be a problem with your scanner. What are you using, and have you tried any other scanners to see if the problem still exists with them?

JBis

Reaction score
If the AutoZone reader is pulling codes successfully, that makes me think this may be a problem with your scanner. What are you using, and have you tried any other scanners to see if the problem still exists with them?
It’ll read codes. It doesn’t pull what vehicle it’s connected to, so the employee has to enter vehicle information then they would be able to read it. I’m using two different Bluetooth scanners others said worked on the forum, one blue, one black. Should I go to harbor freight and try to see if one of theirs works?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't had much luck with the generic bluetooth readers. I've owned a couple cheapie ones that worked on newer vehicles but wouldn't connect on my OBD II GMT400's. I ended up giving them away.

The one that DOES work on all my OBD II stuff is the BAFX Pro. Unfortunately it seems to be a discontinued product at this point.

The takeaway here is that as @df2x4 mentioned, if Autozone's reader is able to pull codes, the port is working and communicating. The #1 suspect is your personal reader, not your truck, definitely do not spend money on a PCM.

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drive over to O-O-O-Oreilleeeeeeeey’s auto parts!

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the man is wanting to work on his truck without having to go somewheres to have them put their scanner/reader on it.
Well, he’s driving to AutoZone to use their scanner and the consensus is AutoZone’s s*cks. Why couldn’t he drive to Oreilly’s?

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, he’s driving to AutoZone to use their scanner and the consensus is AutoZone’s s*cks. Why couldn’t he drive to Oreilly’s?
Better yet buy the scanner O'Reilley's uses and have it himself,,,,,,,,,,providing it works.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to read sensor data from 2000 c3500 5.7.

Better yet buy the scanner O'Reilley's uses and have it himself,,,,,,,,,,providing it works.
I suppose it depends on what data he’s trying to read too. Most auto parts stores are just giving you codes, not any real diagnostic information.
A decent/cheap enough is Dash Command app with a BAFX. No, it’s certainly not a Tech 2, but I only spent $40.00 on it.

JBis

Reaction score
I can’t drive to orileys because the closest store is 70 miles away.