NV4500 to 4L80E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I am looking to swap a 2wd 4L80E in to Frank my 92 K3500.

I have the computer part down but does anyone have details/experience with this?

I'm not even sure what transfer case I have. I understand there are 3 transfer cases that could be under there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Frank

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
transfer case generally has an id tag on it. i think nv4500 has 32 spline output, so with the correct adapter you may be good to go with the 4l80e transfer case? you will need to swap the 2wd output shaft to a 4wd output shaft on the 4l80e. what are you doing for ecu?

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All 4x4 dually GMT400s have a BorgWarner Tcase; in 1992 it would have been the BW4401. There were multiple versions of the BW cases in these trucks over the years but they all pretty much interchange without many issues. I'm also not sure that the mainshaft from a 2wd 4l80e is the same length/spline count as a 4x4, so there may be more to it than just swapping the tailshaft over. I'd think it would be easier to just find a 4x4 version.
You must be registered for see images attach

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Thankyew
All 4x4 dually GMT400s have a BorgWarner Tcase; in 1992 it would have been the BW4401. There were multiple versions of the BW cases in these trucks over the years but they all pretty much interchange without many issues. I'm also not sure that the mainshaft from a 2wd 4l80e is the same length/spline count as a 4x4, so there may be more to it than just swapping the tailshaft over. I'd think it would be easier to just find a 4x4 version.
You must be registered for see images attach
Thankyewvurrymuch!