Nv4500 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What technique did you use to enlarge the second hole? Did you have the clutch pedal installed while you made it bigger?
The cab already had a smaller clutch master cylinder hole because it was a standard trans truck to begin with. For the older trucks they had a single smaller hole and a diagonal bolt pattern as the m/c bolted directly to the firewall, instead of locking into that bracket that bolts into the cab on the interior side of the firewall.

I'd say it's practically impossible to copy what the factory did, after the fact, or at least extremely difficult. So what I did was simply make one single large hole. I used a die grinder and just kept going a little bit at a time until the m/c would fit. Made a template from the newer cab and marked the firewall then went after it with a variety of bits, and it wasn't fun.
You must be registered for see images attach

However without the stepped hole the newer style cab has, the m/c will clock into the bracket, but will be loose on the firewall. That's why I had to use the "gasket" made from whatever that piece was I found in the bolt bin. It sounds like a hack but it worked perfectly, it was a slightly flexible piece of rubbery plastic (possibly an old antenna bezel/grommet) that took up the slack and kept the m/c firmly in place so it couldn't twist and come out of the bracket.

And sorry that I stole your picture. It was the best one that I could find!
No worries at all. Was just pointing it out so you'd know when I replied that I knew what I was talking about because I'd been there and suffered that whole mess, LOL

I'm sorry I don't have any better pictures of that part of the project. I had painted the firewall of the cab in POR-15 (it was a former diesel truck and those have an insulating pad on the firewall so it had slight surface rust; I was already doing the cab floor so I said why not do the firewall, too) so it's glossy and made for bad flash pictures. You can see the old m/c diagonal bolt pattern and small hole; as I said I just kept enlarging it a little bit at a time with the die grinder and test-fitting along the way. (Obviously with the interior bracket's square hole you can't have the bracket in the way while you're grinding.)

Can't see the grommet I used :( but it's in there now.

Richard

jman2

Reaction score
I do have a 95 clutch pedal as well. Would it be easier for me to mount that to my 96 cab instead of the 96 pedal?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Will I have any problems using a 95 trans I my 96 truck?
The truck doesn't know what year model transmission you have, if that's what you mean - there's no computer control of the manual transmission like the automatics have, where it's important to get a compatible year.

Does your 1995 NV4500 still have the separatel slave cylinder w/fork style release bearing setup, or does it have the integrated style where it rides on the input shaft and is one with the release bearing? I can't remember if it changed in 1995 or 1996. 1996 is definitely the integrated style.

You'll want to use the master cylinder that goes with the release bearing setup for easiest swap. The external style slave cylinder uses the bolt-on master cylinder with the diagonal bolt pattern on the firewall. The integrated slave cylinder uses the clock-in style.

I do have a 95 clutch pedal as well. Would it be easier for me to mount that to my 96 cab instead of the 96 pedal?
Since you don't have the hole in the firewall yet, I'd say "probably" - this is the one with the diagonal bolt pattern? If so, it doesn't use the stepped hole that is the big problem with doing this conversion. Just the "plain" single hole in the firewall for the m/c body itself, and the two smaller holes in the diagonal pattern for bolting it up. You'd want to make a very good template from a donor truck to position it correctly.

Richard

jman2

Reaction score
The 95 trans is external slave the 96 truck would be internal. After a few phone calls today I was told that I shouldn't have a problem using the trans and master cylinder combo.... Coming by a donor truck around here is very difficult I had to drive 3 hours just to find one with a clutch pedal that I could pull

jman2

Reaction score
I am planning on doing 2 of these trucks a 95 2wd maybe I'll just switch the cabs around