NV4500 Swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heavychevy98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive got a few questions before i get myself in too deep but i came across a good nv4500 for $350 today but its from a 95 model. Only questions i have are, will my master cylinder work and how expensive is it to freshen this transmission up if i do the work myself? And are there any draw backs to the 95 model trans? A little info on mine, 98 k1500 350/nv3500.

nodark

Reaction score
I think the big drawback that people look at for the '95 (and newer) tranny is that is when they switched over to the 5.61 first, instead of the 6.34. I want to say your slave setup should work but I'm not totally sure. I think I had priced rebuild kits between $200 and $300.

heavychevy98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will figure out the line but since mine is internal slave, will my master cylinder have the same displacement as an external slave style master?

heavychevy98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just an update, got it in last night and everything seems to work fine. I ended up getting a line for the external style slave and it was a direct swap from there. The clutch is a little stiffer than befor but not bad. It also releases a little closer to the floor but again, nothing bad. My only complaint is that it is stiff shifting, nearly the same as if you were sitting with the truck off changing gears. Hope it will loosen up a little bit.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Made sure you bled the clutch well? Tap the line everywhere it bends, can trap bubbles.
I've noticed the NV4500 in the work truck is a little "stiffer" when shifting. It also uses a different shifter, which could make it feel a little different.

heavychevy98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I swapped from a nv3500. And i bled the clutch till it felt good but plan on bleeding it again

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
If there was bubbles in the system the pedal would be softer, not stiffer.

Them NV4500s are stiffer feeling, I noticed that too with the flatbed at work we used to use to haul scrap and plow with.