Nv3500 or nv4500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddy Muffler

Reaction score
I have a 1993 Chevrolet 1500 with a nv3500 that I lost 1st ,2nd, 5th and reverse. Now I am wanting to go to a nv4500 because I am wanting to eventually make 4wd with a solid front axle and ether a built 350 or 4bt as of right now it is a 2wd 6 cylinder. Does anyone have any recommendation on staying with a nv3500 or do y'all recommend going with a nv4500?

92silvy

Reaction score
My truck has a nv4500. Its a really sweet transmission. If you need to replace your current and you can find a 4500 for a good price you definitely won't regret it. I bought my k1500 with it already swapped in so unfortunately I can't tell you what all is required. It would be safe to say you may have to do some cutting and welding because it is bigger than a 3500

Reaction score
I swapped my 5 spd for an SM465 4spd with granny 1st. Transmission is unbreakable. All you need is the proper bell housing and a few parts to make it play nice with a hydraulic clutch. :)

Oh and the crossmember doesnt work as stock i pretty much flipped it upside down and did some minor modding to mate the 465 proper

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
NV3500s can handle quite a bit, and feel sportier. NV4500s are stronger, but feels like you're driving a tow truck.

92silvy

Reaction score
I can attest to that. It feels really slow and clunky, but it's really solid. The low gear and first gear are pretty steep but great if you plan to off road or tow with it

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nv3500 can handle any SB and highway and moderate towing. NV4500 is a great trans, but as stated, it is a tow truck box 3500 is slick by comparison. Drive each one and see what feels best.
A GM 4X4 V8 NV3500 has larger output shaft that is same as NV4500 so T-cases can be interchanged.
You could locate a 3500 with a transfer (NP241) case, shift the T-case into 4 hi and install. Complete your project whenever. You can drive it without doing any other mods. A good, 94-96 NV3500 V8 4x4 trans will take a lot of abuse.
There's a line going that an NV3500 won't tow in 5th gear. That was related to SB trucks lacking enough torque to tow in
5th. A good 3500 is a good choice for average highway use. 3500 trans can be improved, but they are expensive to modify and repair.
An NV3500 is not suitable for any diesel application. NV4500 diesel trans is specific to diesel trucks. A diesel trans is good behind any gas engine, but not so much the other way. A 4BT could destroy gas transmissions.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thought I would add that an NV4500 and NV3500 are interchangeable size-wise. All GMT400s have the same floor pan dimensions. The 4500 shifter will be correct also.
An NV3500 is modular with bell housing and tail shaft housing as permanent casting. A 4X4 3500 will not interchange with a 2WD unless t-case is used. If staying 2WD, go with a T56.
If using an NV4500, you must use a GM version and supply an appropriate bell housing and tail shaft housing or adaptor.
NV4500 bell housings for cast iron V8s are expensive. A donor truck would be ideal.
3500 and 4500 GM use the same clutch input shaft splines.
Both transmissions came in rams head and external slave. They both work, but rams are a PITA to service if problems arise. I prefer external slave although this limits year model choice.
An NV4500 bell housing must match the release bearing setup. A 3500 has the correct bell housing as it's part of the case.
Stay away from L4, V6 and early 3500s (Getrags). And avoid early 4500s as had a 5th gear locknut problem...so be aware.
If going 4BT or 6BT, go with Cummins 6 speed.
Stick with GM version transmissions. NVs are available in Dodge trucks and some internals are identical, they don't interchange. They look similar externally.
Watch for speedo senders. They gotta match your truck.
If picking parts, grab the driveshafts for donor ends.
NV pilot bearing must be correctly located in the crank.

vic_v8

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the 5th gear lock nut problem was Dodge only.

The early NV4500s had and external slave and a lower first gear. In 95, the first gear changed. In 96, they went to internal slaves.

I've owned an early and a late NV4500 and love them. I also owned a 5LM60 that was awesome. But the trucks were made to do different things.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I swapped an SM465 for the early NV4500 specifically because of the matching granny first gear and I gained an OD gear. A donor truck is definitely the way to go so you can have everything you need for the swap. My only advice is unless you know what has been done to the donor, have the transmission looked at while it's on the ground. I had no clue about the history of my donor truck and put the transmission in anyway. About a year and a half later, now I'm waiting for parts to be delivered for a full rebuild.

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1) There is no difference in diesel and gas NV4500s in Gm applications (other than a tailshaft damper on newer SMF setups). In Dodge applications the diesel and V10 gas have differences over the v8 gas version.

2) all NV4500s can spin the nut on 5th gear, it is a flaw in the design. It is easy for dodge diesels to do it because of the vibration of the I6 Cummins. much harder to do with a GM with smooth running v-8s, but it is possible. I have a 95 with spun 5th.

3)all dodge and 96+ GMs have the same bellhousing to transmission bolt pattern, but input shafts differ, so like said above it is best to just get everything out of a GM rig.

For a half ton, I think a late, late 94 and up unit with the 5.61 1st and reverse would be more half ton friendly, the 6.34s are hard to find, and the jeep guys gobble them up for rock crawling, and they dont shift as nice with the old top cover. If you want low gears and the new top cover, either find a 94 or swap a top cover onto a 92 or 93.

If you ever sell the truck, try to keep the bellhousing pattern matched to the truck for the sake of the new guy ordering parts, aka 95 and older had an external slave setup and 96+ had internal.

IMO the lighter transmissions are better suited for the half tons, and are not that weak. I have towed over 10K behind my 91 C1500 with the 4.3L and the 5LM60 is supposedly weaker than the NV3500. NV4500 is stout, but the 3-4 gap kinda sucks and they run expensive gear oil (20+ bucks a quart for the GM stuff) so they are not perfect.

Good luck!

Last edited: